Charity Bike Ride - Compulsory Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Good point - it says 'safety approved cycle helmets are worn at all times when cycling', so if I had a damaged and tatty cycling helmet at home when I was out riding it would be ok.

Not gloves? Nothing about roadworthy bikes? Sounds like the legal department are worried about liability issues and have only done superficial analysis of the situation. Tosh. But easy for me to say as I'm fairly high up the food chain in my organisation.

mind you, on rides surrounded by unknown quantities I tend to wear a helmet just in case one of them offs me.

Grizzly

The vast majority of folk on this thread have agreed with you. I am very pro helmets, but if my employer (which has a C2W scheme) started to dictate to me what I must do on my own time whilst trying to raise money for a good cause, I'd be tempted to do the opposite. But (and there is always a but), could you play be their rules and use it as a way in? Could you use this opportunity to re-introduce the idea of a C2W scheme? Ask the opinions of all the staff members who turn up that day, use it to show your employers that their staff are interested in cycling. Try and make this work for you.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If it bothers you that much 3bm then don't do the ride. I am pro choice and ride 99.99% of the time helmetless however several years ago I purchased a cheap helmet from LIDL for the events which dictate compulsary helmet use ie. the Action Medical charity rides as well as the Cycle Chat rides around the velodrome.

Stop being a big wuss and more importantly why have you changed your user name back again ? :wacko:

ELL

Über Member
I would say don’t do the ride. You obviously don’t care about the charity that you will be doing it for so may as well not do it and save your friends and family the money of sponsoring you.

Do it! I can't think of a better way to engage your work with the idea that cycling is good and the C2w scheme might be worth doing.

I completely agree with your thoughts but keep your eye on the bigger game here, this is an opportunity to recruit people to your cause. Don't miss it.

PS. I've got a spare helmet you can have. It has RBS banking written on the side but I'm sure it's a sticker that comes off ;)

400bhp

Guru
The vast majority of folk on this thread have agreed with you. I am very pro helmets, but if my employer (which has a C2W scheme) started to dictate to me what I must do on my own time whilst trying to raise money for a good cause, I'd be tempted to do the opposite. But (and there is always a but), could you play be their rules and use it as a way in? Could you use this opportunity to re-introduce the idea of a C2W scheme? Ask the opinions of all the staff members who turn up that day, use it to show your employers that their staff are interested in cycling. Try and make this work for you.

Exactly.

You'll come across (rightly or wrongly) as a bit of a t1t by not doing it for the reasons given.

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Stop being a big wuss and more importantly why have you changed your user name back again ? :wacko:

I've never changed my name as far as I know, it's always been ridiculous and inaccurate, much like my posts! :smile:

Thanks for all the replies folks, I've already said I'll probably end up doing the ****er, just needed to get it off me chest.

screenman

Legendary Member
You said that you would rather be riding than working, this tells me the ride is in works time, good on the company to want to support a worth cause.

Now for the big part of my answer, simple why not all you who do not support helmet wearing run an event for charity. Open to only those that do not wear one.

Personaly I admire and thank everybody who organises an event as to few people do, as it takes time and effort. For that reason if I want to do the ride then I am happy to abide to the organisers rules.

From where I am sitting definitely a throwing the teddy out of the pram post.

Davidc

Guru
Paint/fix a large sign on the helmet:

"Warning. Helmets kill cyclists"*

Then do the ride.

I'm doing a charity ride in June, organised by the charity (the local Air Ambulance). Their instructions say that helmet wearing is recommended. If it stays that way I'll wear mine unless it's hot weather. If they change to compulsion I'll do what I've suggested, unless it's hot weather in which case I'll withdraw from the ride.

It's my head, not theirs.

(Risk Assessment: Helmets make my head get hot in hot weather, with the associated risk of passing out. This risk is massively greater than the risk of having an accident if I don't wear one. As I have yet to be convinced of any benefit at all from helmet wearing* I rate the hazard from an accident as the same in both cases. This means that I don't wear a helmet when it's hot. Can anyone find a flaw in this?)

*There's no actual evidence either way as far as I'm aware.

I'm not anti helmet, just anti compulsion.

jethro10

Über Member
to all those trying to make it an anti helmet crusade.

i just hope one day you need help from a charity and don't get it cos someone was more interested in making a different point.
forget helmet debates, forget pride. some poor sods that can't help themselves also don't give a shoot about helmets

so there !!!
thumbsup.png

Jeff

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

i just hope one day you need help from a charity and don't get it cos someone was more interested in making a different point.
forget helmet debates, forget pride. some poor sods that can't help themselves also don't give a shoot about helmets

so there !!!
thumbsup.png

Jeff

Jeff, I have seen no one on here trying to make an anti helmet crusade, you sure your looking at the right thread ?

so there !!!
thumbsup.png

Jeff

Rather silly concept really?

Charities have no "right" to your money, time, or effort. If you disagree with a charity policy then you have the right to refuse to participate or raise funds for it surely?

Top Bottom