Charity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

I know this has been debated before but I wonder what people's views are on the subject of raising money for charity.

I am leaving at the start of November for a year long tour in South America. I havn't yet decided if I am going to raise any money for a charity. But in some ways it seems like an excellent opportunity to do so.

One option is to raise money for a smallish UK humanitarian aid charity I have supported in the past (running marathons and the like) called Shelter Box, another option would be to research a south american charity which I might be able to visit on my trip.

Another option I thought of is to raise money when I return for particular practical things (like musical instruments, schools equipment or bikes) and give the money to trusted contacts (maybe school teachers etc I might meet on the way) to buy the things locally in the most needy areas.

Arch

Married to Night Train
On the one hand, if people will give you money to do something you're doing for fun anyway, go for it.

On the other hand, if people see any kind of cycling as an arduous activity fit only for heroes who can stand pain in order to help charity, it fosters the idea that you have to be superfit to do it at all and we're all nutcases.

Personally, I guess I'd feel a bit of a cheat asking for money for a one off ride of the sort I do most weeks, but maybe if I was taking on something outside my comfort zone....

Top Bottom