1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlie Wegelius

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by rich p, 10 Mar 2008.

1. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

How come he gets so little mention in the British press and media despite his considerable achievements? He did some sterling work in the Giro IIRC but is a virtual unknown over here.

2. walker

walker New Member

I wouldn't really say so. He did get plenty of coverage in the TdF in many papers, mainly the times

3. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

It seems to me he gets quite a few mentions via the internet that I see, but much as we like cycling it's not really big news in the UK UNLESS it's bad news then they really go to town and blow out of all proportion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. DP

DP Chasse patate

Simple really - the UK media audience largely doesn't understand cycle racing. The media is only interested in stage and GC winners since that's all the British public understand. The fall-out after the '05 worlds didn't help either.

I agree with you though - Wegelius is a very very good rider and probably deserves better.

5. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

He isn't on the radar because he races abroad for a smallish foreign team. Where's the interest to the average reader?

He doesn't race for Britain (and nor is he ever likely too again) and of course he hasn't got the BC press office behind him.

6. yenrod

yenrod Guest

He was the person who e/ingrained himself in Italian society and as Dave says rides for relatively small italien teams.

7. walker

walker New Member

but he does race for a adopted british team

8. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

He's never really won anything and for people who don't follow cycling, you can't blame them for failing to see what's so good about someone who 'lets other people win' :biggrin:

9. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

:rolleyes: Italian.

And my point was that he won't race for GB again.

10. walker

walker New Member

when did he move from Barloworld?

HA HA, ignore me, I'm getting mixed up with that other british rider who's name I've now forgotten

11. girofan

girofan New Member

Right Dave. A true professional. Didn't let patriotism overide commercial advantage at the World's, so now persona non grata with BC.

12. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Yeah, great career move, that. ;)