Charlie Wegelius

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
How come he gets so little mention in the British press and media despite his considerable achievements? He did some sterling work in the Giro IIRC but is a virtual unknown over here.

walker

I wouldn't really say so. He did get plenty of coverage in the TdF in many papers, mainly the times

Keith Oates

Janner
It seems to me he gets quite a few mentions via the internet that I see, but much as we like cycling it's not really big news in the UK UNLESS it's bad news then they really go to town and blow out of all proportion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U

User169

rich p said:
How come he gets so little mention in the British press and media despite his considerable achievements? He did some sterling work in the Giro IIRC but is a virtual unknown over here.

Simple really - the UK media audience largely doesn't understand cycle racing. The media is only interested in stage and GC winners since that's all the British public understand. The fall-out after the '05 worlds didn't help either.

I agree with you though - Wegelius is a very very good rider and probably deserves better.

Dave5N

Über Member
He isn't on the radar because he races abroad for a smallish foreign team. Where's the interest to the average reader?

He doesn't race for Britain (and nor is he ever likely too again) and of course he hasn't got the BC press office behind him.

yenrod

He was the person who e/ingrained himself in Italian society and as Dave says rides for relatively small italien teams.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
He's never really won anything and for people who don't follow cycling, you can't blame them for failing to see what's so good about someone who 'lets other people win' :biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
walker said:
but he does race for a adopted british team

:rolleyes: Italian.

And my point was that he won't race for GB again.

walker

Dave5N said:
:rolleyes: Italian.

And my point was that he won't race for GB again.

when did he move from Barloworld?

HA HA, ignore me, I'm getting mixed up with that other british rider who's name I've now forgotten

Top Bottom