Chas Roberts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

minnsy

New to Road Bikes, having spent far too long half way up (or down) a hill, covered in mud...
Was looking for a second hand roadie, and have been offered a thing called a Chas Roberts 'Sigma'. Has Shimano RX100 gear all round. 531 'Competition' tubing, garish purple/white in colour, Mavic wheels etc. Needs a bit of a clean, however it all runs true...one owner from new, he bought it 9 years ago..

I have never heard of a 'Chas Roberts' - can anyone shed any light on this for me at all?

Thanks in advance...

David

domtyler

Über Member

Emu

Roberts are about a mile from where I live. I'd like a Roberts bike - no way I could afford one though:sad:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Roberts are one of the few remaining frame-builders with an excellent reputation for Custom Audax and Touring bikes these days.
I'd like a Roberts too!

If it's in good nick and fits you well, go for it...with a bit of TLC it will be a friend for life.

How much out of interest?

OP
OP
M

minnsy

Well, the strange thing is that the guy who is selling it works at the local council tip. He is a cycling nut though, and does time trials etc. He says he bought the bike from new - from a cycle shop in Hastings (I think it was Hastings) but looking at the 2nd posters link, it looks like Chas Roberts have always been based in Croydon.

He also says he paid £1,200 for it, and this is 10 years ago.. On the rear 'swing arm' bit (not sure if it is called this), it has a 'chas roberts' sticker and a union jack. The Chas Roberts writing is in italics.

Like I said, all it needs is a good clean and a couple of new cables and inner tubes....maybe £30 and some elbow grease. It is extremely light, and the build quality (compared to me Spesh Epic) is streets ahead..

How much does he want for it - £30 - I think I'll buy it!

I will ring the bike shop today and see if they recognise it as one of theirs

Cheers

David

giant man

This bike is SOOOOOOO worth thirty quid of anyone's money!!! Go for it!

ChrisW

I paid £1,200 for my Roberts 10 years ago, still riding it as a winter commute bike through London. It's lovely.

Buy that one for £30 and i'll take it off your hands for £40, 'cos i'm nice like that!

OP
OP
M

minnsy

Parted with £30 and now have the bike in my Garage... The guy was almost quite 'emotional' about the sale - having owned it from new...and the price was what he wanted for it - did not negotiate at all.

The paint work is purple 'faded' to white (quite extreme!) With purple anodised bottle holders and purple/white handlebar tape! However the main thing I note is the quality of the frame, and its weight. Really very light.

As I mentioned it needs a few bits and bobs, but overall looks very nice.

Will be calling Chas Roberts in the morning to verify it is one of theirs, and not a looka-likey far eastern import!!

Cheers

David

Top Bottom