Chat GPT is going to kill this place!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
I read Hobbes title differently; my thinking was that Chat GPT could write an excellent ride report for us, complete with photos, amusing and scary stories, so that we would no longer have to actually ride our bikes in that cold, cruel world out there. :tongue:

Maybe I'm just an early version of that! Although, in fairness, it would be a pretty messed up intelligence who would have gotten themselves into some of my scrapes ^_^

But to go serious ..... Isn't that what Zuckerberg (?) wants to do with his Metaverse? Bring people along for the ride?
I couldn't think of much worse!

markemark

Über Member
Maybe I'm just an early version of that! Although, in fairness, it would be a pretty messed up intelligence who would have gotten themselves into some of my scrapes ^_^

But to go serious ..... Isn't that what Zuckerberg (?) wants to do with his Metaverse? Bring people along for the ride?
I couldn't think of much worse!

I think metaverse is moribund. Meta is pivoting to AI and moving staff accordingly.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The rate at which this is improving is terrifying. I just had my first play with Chat GPT.

I asked it to explain a technical thing that I had just looked up. It did so perfectly.
I asked it to explain some Finnish and German grammar rules. It didn't do so well. Its answers were generally flawed, but not totally wrong.
I also asked it about a few other things and the impression it gave was of a person who knows a lot but is intensely boring.

This is just the beginning though.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
The rate at which this is improving is terrifying. I just had my first play with Chat GPT.

I asked it to explain a technical thing that I had just looked up. It did so perfectly.
I asked it to explain some Finnish and German grammar rules. It didn't do so well. Its answers were generally flawed, but not totally wrong.
I also asked it about a few other things and the impression it gave was of a person who knows a lot but is intensely boring.

This is just the beginning though.

With GTP4 being connected to the net if enough people tell it the grammar rules explanations are flawed it will update it's model and be correct henceforth.

The gap between 2 and 4 is astonishing for such a short time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
After playing with it a bit more, it is a very plausible bulshitter. If it doesn't know something it just makes up something that seems reasonable and believable. Totally wrong, but completely plausible.

It just told me that Paul Temple's wife is called Steve as a contraction of Stephanie. What rot. True Paul Temple fans know that she was born Louise Harvey, and used the journalistic pen-name Steve Trent, and was writing under this name when she met Paul, hence his use of the name Steve.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
After playing with it a bit more, it is a very plausible bulshitter. If it doesn't know something it just makes up something that seems reasonable and believable. Totally wrong, but completely plausible.

It just told me that Paul Temple's wife is called Steve as a contraction of Stephanie. What rot. True Paul Temple fans know that she was born Louise Harvey, and used the journalistic pen-name Steve Trent, and was writing under this name when she met Paul, hence his use of the name Steve.

Are you using the GTP3 on the OpenAi site ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Are you using the GTP3 on the OpenAi site ?

It's on the Open AI site. I know it's ChatGPT but that's all. No version given.

I just tested its knowledge of the Saga of the Volsungs. It has a very vague idea and makes up the details very earnestly. When corrected it apologises and continues with more plausible nonsense.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

I just tested its knowledge of the Saga of the Volsungs. It has a very vague idea and makes up the details very earnestly. When corrected it apologises and continues with more plausible nonsense.

That's v3 and has no access to the outside world so makes structured guess in anything outside it learning model . I'm on the waiting list for v4 there but have the bing/v4 model on Skype now, I applied a while back and thats the the first one i got.

Alex321

Veteran

The free version is GPT3. The premium version is GPT4

presta

Guru
This is the Chelmsford end of the route it gave me for my commute. (Destination in red)
View attachment 682879

It occurred that this might be because my employers had their own postcode, and occupied multiple sites in town, so I tried again using street names, and got a much shorter route, but it was still complete gibberish.

Top Bottom