Chat GPT is going to kill this place!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Jeez, you were away for a long time. who is the current PM??
I was going to say Disraeli, but now you got me doubting myself..,

Alex321

Veteran
Google Maps as the number one bike route planner?
Q. Will my ride involve 'interesting' route choices?

Could it come up with half the garbage spouted on NACA? (rhetorical question, not to be answered here).

I did ask it to give me a route from home to the office, wondering how close it would give to my actual route.

It wasn't great.

First, it started from a point about 4 miles from home, and then while the route would get to the office (it got the location of that right), it used some rather odd routing, and at one point took you onto the A4232 link road (a fast dual carriageway I would never take my bike on), where there wasn't actually even a junction, so you would have had to carry your bike up the embankment to get onto it.

Just tried that again, giving my actual postcode rather than village name, asking specifically for a cycle commute route. It still started from the wrong place (but a bit closer), but this time did give a much more direct route, still took me on the A4232, but this time actually joining it at a proper junction (Culverhouse cross)

Sure! Here's a cycle commute route from CFXXXXXX to Cardiff Bay:

1. Start at CFXXXXXX and head south on Station Road.
  2. Turn left onto Cowbridge High Street.
  3. At the roundabout, take the second exit onto A48.
  4. Continue on A48 for approximately 10 miles.
  5. Take the exit for the A4232 towards Cardiff Bay/Barry/Cardiff Airport.
  6. Merge onto A4232 and continue straight.
  7. Take the exit towards Cardiff Bay and turn right onto Hemingway Road.
  8. Continue straight onto Lloyd George Avenue.
  9. Turn left onto Bute Place.
  10. Turn right onto Bute Street.
  11. Continue straight onto Stuart Street.
  12. Turn left onto Harbour Drive.
  13. Turn right onto Lloyd George Avenue.
  14. You have arrived at Cardiff Bay!
This route is approximately 12 miles long and should take around 50 minutes to cycle, depending on your speed and traffic conditions. As always, make sure to wear appropriate safety gear and follow all traffic laws while cycling.

I can't actually work out exactly where it is starting, as there is no road leading to Cowbridge High Street called Station Road. But it is obviously somewhere in the centre of Cowbridge, which is about 3 miles from the postcode I gave it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Far from killing this place, it's no threat whatsoever - at the moment at least. Take this:

chatgpt said:
Both bike packing and bike touring are great ways to explore the world on two wheels

What wishy-washy nonsense. No one's going to take any notice of that. For a good 80 page thread you need something along the lines of this.

Bike packing is for more-money-than sense johnny-come-latelies who are hypnotised by the consumerist ads in the bike press for so-called "gravel bikes" and stupid shaped saddlebags. It's a fad and the sooner they give it up and go and play golf the better. Touring, on the other hand is for the pompous, self-righteous beard-and-sandals brigade who cling fetishistically to outdated badly designed over-priced kit like Carradice saddlebags and Brooks saddles. They are dinosaurs but given their average age we won't have to worry about them for much longer.​

That's what the public wants.

Last edited:
Far from killing this place, it's no threat whatsoever - at the moment at least. Take this:

What wishy-washy nonsense. No one's going to take any notice of that. For a good 80 page thread you need something along the lines of this.

Bike packing is for more-money-than sense johnny-come-latelies who are hypnotised by the consumerist ads in the bike press for so-called "gravel bikes" and stupid shaped saddlebags. It's a fad and the sooner they give it up and go and play golf the better. Touring, on the other hand is for the pompous, self-righteous bead-and-sandals brigade who cling fetishistically to outdated badly designed over-priced kit like Carradice saddlebags and Brooks saddles. They are dinosaurs but given their average age we won't have to worry about them for much longer.​

That's what the public wants.

If I've understood the technology, we just need to get your text onto some more fashionable web-pages, then generate loads of hits+links;

... eventually CHAT Guppy will actually return your text whenever we ask about bike-toking etc!

presta

Guru
I did ask it to give me a route from home to the office, wondering how close it would give to my actual route.
This is the Chelmsford end of the route it gave me for my commute. (Destination in red)
1679670297866.png

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It won't kill forums... Ask it to insult you. It won't...

GTP3 was telling people to kill themselves

FishFright

More wheels than sense

It wasn't great.

First, it started from a point about 4 miles from home, and then while the route would get to the office (it got the location of that right), it used some rather odd routing, and at one point took you onto the A4232 link road (a fast dual carriageway I would never take my bike on), where there wasn't actually even a junction, so you would have had to carry your bike up the embankment to get onto it.

Just tried that again, giving my actual postcode rather than village name, asking specifically for a cycle commute route. It still started from the wrong place (but a bit closer), but this time did give a much more direct route, still took me on the A4232, but this time actually joining it at a proper junction (Culverhouse cross)

Sure! Here's a cycle commute route from CFXXXXXX to Cardiff Bay:

1. Start at CFXXXXXX and head south on Station Road.
  2. Turn left onto Cowbridge High Street.
  3. At the roundabout, take the second exit onto A48.
  4. Continue on A48 for approximately 10 miles.
  5. Take the exit for the A4232 towards Cardiff Bay/Barry/Cardiff Airport.
  6. Merge onto A4232 and continue straight.
  7. Take the exit towards Cardiff Bay and turn right onto Hemingway Road.
  8. Continue straight onto Lloyd George Avenue.
  9. Turn left onto Bute Place.
  10. Turn right onto Bute Street.
  11. Continue straight onto Stuart Street.
  12. Turn left onto Harbour Drive.
  13. Turn right onto Lloyd George Avenue.
  14. You have arrived at Cardiff Bay!
This route is approximately 12 miles long and should take around 50 minutes to cycle, depending on your speed and traffic conditions. As always, make sure to wear appropriate safety gear and follow all traffic laws while cycling.

I can't actually work out exactly where it is starting, as there is no road leading to Cowbridge High Street called Station Road. But it is obviously somewhere in the centre of Cowbridge, which is about 3 miles from the postcode I gave it.

Try it on GTP4 via Bing at some time , 3 had no access to the internet and wasn't good at route planning.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I asked GTP4, via Bing, to write me some code in C++ to search the local PC for PDF's and create an index of their contents.

It took 3 seconds and worked straight away.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I read Hobbes title differently; my thinking was that Chat GPT could write an excellent ride report for us, complete with photos, amusing and scary stories, so that we would no longer have to actually ride our bikes in that cold, cruel world out there. :tongue:

Top Bottom