Cheap base layers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Stephenite said:
For cheap base layers you cannot beat previous seasons football shirts. I bought last years england shirt for £5. Its a high-tec piece of kit too!

There must be plenty of Scotland shirts going cheap! <pedals away really, really fast>

I disagree.. they don't wick and aren't breathable. often end up being too hot.:ohmy:

Stephenite

Membå
Surprised you say that, gaz. A good footy shirt has a pattern in the weave of the material to move sweat/water away from areas that would normally accumulate it. The fluid then evaporates as well as with any wicking material.

Our darling footballers with 6/7 figure salaries wouldnt expect anything less.

The following quote was randomly nicked from an advert:

"Technical Specification
The new Brazil Football Shirt features a tighter fit and Dri-FIT technology to keep players drier and cooler during play.
The Dri-FIT uses technology that helps keep the footballers drier, cooler and lighter. It achieves this by drawing sweat away from the body to the fabric’s surface for fast drying."

A nice visible yellow too. Another randomly nicked quote:

"The latest in Adidas apparel technology is featured in the Galaxy kit including ClimaCoolTM and FlowMappingTM technologies, which allows heat and sweat to escape the body and is proven to reduce fatigue and dehydration. The jersey also features ForMotionTM technology, engineered to fit an athlete’s body in motion through 3-dimensional design and by flattening the seams to reduce irritation."

As worn by the lovable Becks. If you can pick these up for £5 or £10 next year you'll be quids in!

zacklaws

Guru
Just bought a couple of tops:-

One from the "Regatta" outlet shop,there own brand made from a material that they call "Hydrotherm" for £9.99 and I cannot fault it.

The other I bought from "Sports Direct", made by the company called "Campri", who are supposed to be well known for there ski wear for £7.99, reduced from £22.99. Only worn it once and it did not seem as warm as the Regatta one, but it is a lot thinner, it was only 3C outside, and it has not been washed yet and I usually find that when something has been washed a few times there performance improves.

I am a 44 inch chest, and the Regatta shirt is an XL, the Campri is a L, and they both fit perfect.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I just find riding with a base layer vest made out of man made fibres uncomfortable when in cold weather I will have an excellent jacket on that is wind and storm proof and claiming to be highly breathable...
The vest gets sweaty ie wet and never dries.. staying clammy until you ride again to generate more heat and water.. but if your riding is a 10 20 mile whatever then a shower and change... then a polyester or whatever top/vest isnt an issue... but we dont all ride like that

hence my conversion to the seemingly only real warm when wet solution which is merino

I have even tried a lambswool alternative but itch factor kicks in bad style.. but again it is warm when wet

jimboalee

If you wear a soccer jersey as a base layer, when the paramedics cut off your cycle jersey and see a soccer jersey underneath, they'll think they've found the 'missing link' and send you to the natural history museum for disection.

zacklaws

Guru
Went out and bought the "Campri" bottoms from "Sport Direct" today,to go with the top, £7.99 reduced from £22.99, not so much for cycling but for work these cold nights, but unlike the top (in reality I may not have gave the top justice as according to my clothing worn/temperature chart, it was the coldest day that I had been out this winter) I was very impressed how warm they are, not just standing around at work but when I cycled to work last night and returned this morning, temp -6.5 it was very noticeable how warm they were.

The material is very thin like the top and ideal to wear under tights etc for an extra layer if need be. Because the material is so thin as well, it should be possible to wear two pairs at the same time, tops as well.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Stephenite said:
Surprised you say that, gaz. A good footy shirt has a pattern in the weave of the material to move sweat/water away from areas that would normally accumulate it. The fluid then evaporates as well as with any wicking material.

Our darling footballers with 6/7 figure salaries wouldnt expect anything less.

The following quote was randomly nicked from an advert:

"Technical Specification
The new Brazil Football Shirt features a tighter fit and Dri-FIT technology to keep players drier and cooler during play.
The Dri-FIT uses technology that helps keep the footballers drier, cooler and lighter. It achieves this by drawing sweat away from the body to the fabric’s surface for fast drying."

A nice visible yellow too. Another randomly nicked quote:

"The latest in Adidas apparel technology is featured in the Galaxy kit including ClimaCoolTM and FlowMappingTM technologies, which allows heat and sweat to escape the body and is proven to reduce fatigue and dehydration. The jersey also features ForMotionTM technology, engineered to fit an athlete’s body in motion through 3-dimensional design and by flattening the seams to reduce irritation."

As worn by the lovable Becks. If you can pick these up for £5 or £10 next year you'll be quids in!

From my experience of football shirts for playing in school and uni teams it is not best used as a base layer. it is always the outer layer, if it's cold you wear a base layer underneath.

It's wicking and breathability is nothing compared to a decent base layer.

I have two football shirts (well, I have more but I'll compare the two for the purpose of the thread)

A goalkeeper's long-sleeved top made by Diadora from the 2004/5 season, which is quite breathable with moderate wicking properties. It could be used as a base layer for commuting/leisure but not really for training or anything more strenuous.

From the 2005/06 season I have the standard kit top...it feels like a tesco carrier bag and has zero wicking except for a bit of different material under the 'pits

Point being that these days there is no such thing as a standard football kit, some may be suited for a cheap "sort of base layer" but others may be completely unsuitable.

But then...the other issue with football tops is that for example L**ds could bring out a top that was the most versatile all-purpose base or mid layer, and sell it for 20p and I'd still rather ride across the sahara in a 1970s parka with the hood up, than wear it :wacko:

Top Bottom