Cheap bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So far my technique has consisted of identifying road bikes of the right size on Gumtree at around £300 and offering £200 / £220. I've been rejected outright to date.
Some really cheap roadbikes are available new, which might be safer, and I could go to £350 ish. I could wait a few days for sales. An observation so far is that Carreras hold their value surprisingly well. A bike available at £230 with British cycling discount will be going for £180- 200.

Why are you constraining yourself with a narrow point around £220? It comes across to me that you can't go over £220 for wife acceptability reasons, but equally you aren't trawling the depths of the bargain basement end of the market either. So you've got a very limited self-imposed pool of bikes to choose from as a result. I'm not really surprised that you are struggling to source anything suitable TBH.
One of the problems with any secondhand market is there is a lot of overpriced stuff on offer. Some sellers ask silly prices then just keep relisting the unsold item week after week in a war of attrition against mug buyers. Those sellers are not going to take a sensible realistic offer because they are either greedy or simply deluded about the value of what they have for sale. They are not worth wasting your time on. Used mass-produced bikes are currently a buyer's market; there is an abundant supply of them around. I've been watching a handful of overpriced £200+ used steel bikes on eBay for months now and they just don't sell, whereas the very same bikes - when listed at a more realistic £60-100 do sell. By targeting the overpriced stuff you are dooming yourself to fail. I would not pay anywhere near £200 for a used Carrera that was sub-£300 when new. End of season discounting can often mean 25-30% off RRP, which therefore depresses the secondhand value of all old-model used bikes in proportion. Just like when a new facelifted model of car comes out, all the last-year style ones are immediately devalued. Secondhand anything means to me an absolute max of 50p in the Pound of it's price new, and preferably a lot, lot less than that. The hardcore bargain territory is 10p in the pound or less and it's where I do my searching.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Why are you constraining yourself with a narrow point around £220? It comes across to me that you can't go over £220 for wife acceptability reasons, but equally you aren't trawling the depths of the bargain basement end of the market either. So you've got a very limited self-imposed pool of bikes to choose from as a result. I'm not really surprised that you are struggling to source anything suitable TBH.
One of the problems with any secondhand market is there is a lot of overpriced stuff on offer. Some sellers ask silly prices then just keep relisting the unsold item week after week in a war of attrition against mug buyers. Those sellers are not going to take a sensible realistic offer because they are either greedy or simply deluded about the value of what they have for sale. They are not worth wasting your time on. Used mass-produced bikes are currently a buyer's market; there is an abundant supply of them around. I've been watching a handful of overpriced £200+ used steel bikes on eBay for months now and they just don't sell, whereas the very same bikes - when listed at a more realistic £60-100 do sell. By targeting the overpriced stuff you are dooming yourself to fail. I would not pay anywhere near £200 for a used Carrera that was sub-£300 when new. End of season discounting can often mean 25-30% off RRP, which therefore depresses the secondhand value of all old-model used bikes in proportion. Just like when a new facelifted model of car comes out, all the last-year style ones are immediately devalued. Secondhand anything means to me an absolute max of 50p in the Pound of it's price new, and preferably a lot, lot less than that. The hardcore bargain territory is 10p in the pound or less and it's where I do my searching.

I'm seeing the same bikes coming round to the top of the listings again - so there are certainly people willing to keep promoting until they get the price they want.

I'm not at that narrow price point- that's a maximum - but the bikes I want tend to be more than that! I'm looking for 54 / medium frame, drop bars, sti shifters. It needs to be standard rear spacing to fit on the turbo, not a narrower-spaced retro bike. Apart from that I'm not caring - which is why a Carrera would be fine. If I go that route though I'd be better going a modest amount more and buying new.

Top Bottom