Cheap clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rock bus

Über Member
Having had A few goes on the trails over at Cannock me and my son are keen to do a lot more mountain biking.
We both have Triban bikes which will do us until we get more seriously into it.
but I’d like to kit us out with some appropriate clothing and maybe protection gear.
I know it doesn’t really matter what we look like and we just get out there but think it will actually help our confidence and make us commit to doing it if we can at least start to ‘look the part’

Having looked online it all seems really expensive can anyone point me in the direction of any decent value places to buy clothing?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Same place your bikes came from - Decathlon.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Decathlon - Their MTB shorts are good quality. Also look for sales, as things like knee pads and elbow pads can be expensive. I don't bather with pads on trails I know, but where I don't, I'll pad up.

Venod

Eh up
MTB shorts are usualy more hard wearing and less easy to damage than iycra shorts, there is nothing wrong with a pair of lycra shorts and you may have more choice at a lower price point than MTB shorts.

I ride MTB in normal road gear, I have never used pads or any other protection, I have fallen off a lot.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Don't forget Halfords, their "Ridge" range are keenly priced and decent quality. Do bear in mind they're a bit more generously sized than the premium racing snake clothing brands, so try on if you can, (or at least see the clothes in person).

Julia9054

Guru
Ebay.
Lots of people take up cycling and give up quite quickly so it's possible to get barely used clothing for little money. This is where most of my tops come from. Shorts (padded road ones meant to be worn without underwear) , I'll buy new!

Venod

Eh up
Ebay.
Lots of people take up cycling and give up quite quickly so it's possible to get barely used clothing for little money. This is where most of my tops come from. Shorts (padded road ones meant to be worn without underwear) , I'll buy new!
This is a good way of getting bargains and as well as the giving up cyclists a lot of people that continue lose weight so want to downsize their wardrobe, I have picked up three Rapha large tops that way, that I would never buy at full price.

Dwn

As others have said, decathlon is pretty good value. You can often get altura and endura clothes on sale, so probably worth checking those

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you buy knee pads don't be tempted by cheap on line offerings. It is a false economy. They rarely fit well and end slipping when you are riding and tend to be left to one side. Spend a little more and get some decent ones like Fox or 661 try in a shop first if you can. You want something you almost forget you have on. Your elbows are less dynamic when riding so not quite as critical in terms good fit.

Jody

Stubborn git
Polaris have some pretty good stuff when their clearance sales are on. Most of my kit is from them and I rate them highly.

The only thing I wouldn't scrimp on are shorts. Historically I've always ridden in lycra but then switched to baggies which suits MTB riding more. Always thought some of the expensive shorts seemed a rip off but i've been converted. You can pick Endura Humvees up for about £50 with the padded liner shorts included, which may seem expensive but they are really comfy and offer some protection when you come off. I looped out of a manual a few months ago doing about 20 MPH. Slid down the gravel track on my arse, using my hands for brakes and whilst the shorts have some slight scuff marks they saved me from a fair amount of gravel rash. Lycra or thinner shorts would have torn in the first few yards.

simongt

Guru
Aldi/Lidl do very workmanlike gear for not a lot of shekels which is highly regarded for its value and effectiveness by people who aren't snobs.
Indee. Several years back when I wasn't an Aldi regular, I went into a branch to look at the cycle clothing and was pleasantly surprised to see who were obviously 'roadies' raking through the offer cycle gear. Since then, having bought such stuff from Aldi, am pleased with the quality. :smile:

Top Bottom