Cheap GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
What price would I be looking for in a GPS that I would be able to take my rides off and plot on a map?

I like the look of Garmins but dont really want to be forking out more than £50 on one. I just need something to pop into my back pocket and then plug into my computer.

I currently use mycyclinglog and bikely but I dont want to have to plot every route I do by hand.

Suggestions please.

redcard

Veteran
Probably a cheap mobile is your best bet, either from ebay, or your local pawn shop.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-Sa...bile_Phones&hash=item2ec221ec65#ht_500wt_1288

redcard

Veteran
Buy cheap buy twice as a wise man once said.

Save up and get a Garmin Edge 200, it's a cracking piece of kit and does what you need IMO :thumbsup:

Agreed. My Garmin is probably the best purchase I've made, bar the actual bike.

Anyway, using a cheap mobile isn't really befitting of a professional cyclist,

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A gps enabled smart phone can do it but if you can get a discounted Garmin 200 or basic Bryton then they are a bit more accurate and do everything a bike computer does as well. The other advantage is the battery will last ax lot longer than a phone battery.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Thanks guys. I am looking at reviews of the Edge 200 now.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
A gps enabled smart phone can do it but if you can get a discounted Garmin 200 or basic Bryton then they are a bit more accurate and do everything a bike computer does as well. The other advantage is the battery will last ax lot longer than a phone battery.
If this means my averages might come down I'm going to stick with my phone, but what if it means they could go up? :wacko:

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
On the Garmin Edge 200 entry on Wiggle, they warn that you may need to purchase more detailed maps. Has anyone had to do that? How much are the maps? Also, I'm unclear if its just for recording your ride, or can you also load routes into it (for organised events and the like)?

Top Bottom