Cheap new wheels...worth the effort?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Hi i know its been asked before but if you can offer your views i be really grateful.

I have a three year old allez, it has the black alex wheels it came with.
I am 15 stone.
I am doing the whiteroseclassic

Is it worth changing my wheels ( and tyres ) if so what should i change em for. Needs to be cheap, no more than 200 quid.

I wonder if at this price point i will see any real advantage.

Thanks again.

andy

walker

at £200 you should see some sort of improvement over the Alex Rims, you will see a slight weight decrease, which will make the hills easier. what tyres do you have already?

domtyler

Über Member
Stick some GP4000S tyres on, or the Mitchelin equivalent. This will provide a noticeable and useful upgrade. Think about new wheels once you are used to the new tyres.

Tynan

Veteran
that's cheap?

yuk yuk, I got Mavic Open Pros on the new ride and they're by far the best wheels I've ever had

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That wiggle proce is too much for Aksiums, and they're not that light either.

andy.
First I agree about tyres, Change to GP's or Michelin Pro Race 3's (Approx £20 in Parkers) will make a big difference, just be aware that they maybe less P*ncture resistant than you're used too, but they will roll well, fast and in the case of the PR3's stick like poo to a blanket.
Also, weigh your current front wheel (without tyres and tubes) as a guide to see just how much weight you will/will-not save.
There was athreadon this recently and there were some Easton Wheels that were very good value and light weight at a shade under £200. Fulcrum also get a good write-up as do Open pro's on a hub of your choice, say 105 as a minimum.

Mortiroloboy

Like what Fab says, if it's a build up then you can't beat Open pro's as VFM hoops and some 105 or veloce hubs depending on whether you ride Campag or Sh*man*. off the peg then at that price Aksiums are hard to beat.

I ride Aksiums on my winter bike, my besty bike has Zonda's, which were only £265, well worth considering the extra £65.

yenrod

Yer pays ya money - you gets ya ride !

£147 is pretty steep.

I have a pair of 'old' Campy - Omega V's (v-section) and have the quandry of either;

Buying a pair of cheap wheels. Then either;

Taking the current wheels I have now - apart and using the hubs; some Tiagra hubs on Mavic Aerosports - can't fault the products BUT the build - FORGET IT - an all singing all dancing 'raleigh (supposedly) handbuilt pair of wheels :smile:

...and put the V's on the hubs - paying only for spokes and maybe the build ! if I dont throw them together my self though as pointed out by my expert wheel builder youve got to buy 3 sets of spokes - 2 for 1 wheel and 1 for the front.

So...wheel see :biggrin:

doyler78

You could also try the Planet X Model C's @ 1685gm for £50 less than the Easton's. Can't vouch for them as I don't have them but they do look good value and with the extra £75 you will still have plenty of change to get a set of Michelin Pro3 Race tyres which should cost you a shade over £40 for the pair and I can vouch for them - simply brilliant. Bit of a risk perhaps on the Planet X but at that price I would be really tempted to take it myself but then again the Model B's will be coming standard on my bike if they ever come back into stock.

Top Bottom