1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap new wheels...worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by andyfromotley, 19 May 2008.

1. andyfromotley

andyfromotley New Member

Hi i know its been asked before but if you can offer your views i be really grateful.

I have a three year old allez, it has the black alex wheels it came with.
    I am 15 stone.
    I am doing the whiteroseclassic

Is it worth changing my wheels ( and tyres ) if so what should i change em for. Needs to be cheap, no more than 200 quid.

I wonder if at this price point i will see any real advantage.

Thanks again.

andy

2. walker

walker New Member

at £200 you should see some sort of improvement over the Alex Rims, you will see a slight weight decrease, which will make the hills easier. what tyres do you have already?

3. OP
    OP
    andyfromotley

andyfromotley New Member

erm........ black winter training ones.

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Stick some GP4000S tyres on, or the Mitchelin equivalent. This will provide a noticeable and useful upgrade. Think about new wheels once you are used to the new tyres.

5. walker

walker New Member

6. dodgy

dodgy Veteran

7. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

that's cheap?

yuk yuk, I got Mavic Open Pros on the new ride and they're by far the best wheels I've ever had

8. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

That wiggle proce is too much for Aksiums, and they're not that light either.

andy.
    First I agree about tyres, Change to GP's or Michelin Pro Race 3's (Approx £20 in Parkers) will make a big difference, just be aware that they maybe less P*ncture resistant than you're used too, but they will roll well, fast and in the case of the PR3's stick like poo to a blanket.
    Also, weigh your current front wheel (without tyres and tubes) as a guide to see just how much weight you will/will-not save.
    There was athreadon this recently and there were some Easton Wheels that were very good value and light weight at a shade under £200. Fulcrum also get a good write-up as do Open pro's on a hub of your choice, say 105 as a minimum.

9. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

Like what Fab says, if it's a build up then you can't beat Open pro's as VFM hoops and some 105 or veloce hubs depending on whether you ride Campag or Sh*man*. off the peg then at that price Aksiums are hard to beat.

I ride Aksiums on my winter bike, my besty bike has Zonda's, which were only £265, well worth considering the extra £65.

10. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

11. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Yer pays ya money - you gets ya ride !

£147 is pretty steep.

I have a pair of 'old' Campy - Omega V's (v-section) and have the quandry of either;

Buying a pair of cheap wheels. Then either;

Taking the current wheels I have now - apart and using the hubs; some Tiagra hubs on Mavic Aerosports - can't fault the products BUT the build - FORGET IT - an all singing all dancing 'raleigh (supposedly) handbuilt pair of wheels :smile:

...and put the V's on the hubs - paying only for spokes and maybe the build ! if I dont throw them together my self though as pointed out by my expert wheel builder youve got to buy 3 sets of spokes - 2 for 1 wheel and 1 for the front.

So...wheel see :biggrin:

12. doyler78

doyler78 Well-Known Member

You could also try the Planet X Model C's @ 1685gm for £50 less than the Easton's. Can't vouch for them as I don't have them but they do look good value and with the extra £75 you will still have plenty of change to get a set of Michelin Pro3 Race tyres which should cost you a shade over £40 for the pair and I can vouch for them - simply brilliant. Bit of a risk perhaps on the Planet X but at that price I would be really tempted to take it myself but then again the Model B's will be coming standard on my bike if they ever come back into stock.