Cheap Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
How much do you want to spend? I have a set of Easton wheels that came on my CUBE. I used them a handful of times and replaced with Planet X wheels. They are nothing fancy but would most likely do the job. Let me know if you're interested. They are the same as in this pic.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd like to go out and buy decent wheels for it, but for a bike I will use until August, it's bad economics...unless the resale value of the bike would cover it, which I doubt...the previous owner got it off freecycle and it was given to me. It is a raliegh but I don't think it's old enough to be worth ought. I may have to get the Rigida rims and live with the jibes from passing cyclists, snearing at my lack of proper racing wheels.
Plenty cheap Rigida rimmed bikes out there ... they'll be fine under the circumstances.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

How much do you want to spend? I have a set of Easton wheels that came on my CUBE. I used them a handful of times and replaced with Planet X wheels. They are nothing fancy but would most likely do the job. Let me know if you're interested. They are the same as in this pic.

Thanks for the offer, but those wheels will have quick release axles and an OLD of 130mm, which won't fit this old bike. My raliegh has nutted axles, a 5 speed freewheel cassete and an OLD of 120mm...it's proper basic and well outdated. cheers all the same. My aim is to get it road worthy for under £50, the less the better for this bike. Trying to save my £'s for my Birthday treat in August.

Davidc

Guru
You're right Sittingduck. I may have misread but assumed the bike was going to do utilitarian duty.

If narrower tyres are wanted then the Mavic open sport and open pro are another option from the same stable, as is FF's suggestion.

e-rider

crappy member
Which is why I recommended them, given that the title of the thread is 'Cheap Rims...'
I had problems with one Chrina rim but I think it was probably as much to do wih overtension in the spokes then anything else. I also built a set of wheels onto Chrina 32h rims and have been using them as day-to-day commuter wheels through all weathers, for about a year or so, now. Never had a problem but it's not really a 'proper' road bike - just my Dawes Audax Winter hack ;)
what was the problem? I had loads of eyelets pull out of them. The shop said over tensioned, the rigida importer claimed under tensioned - I think shoot rims were responsible!!!

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
No reason you can't have qr hubs that I am aware of I Have fitted some to my 80s cheapy Raleigh cadet winter hack.it should be easy to cold forge the rear end or just spring it to fit a wider hub. (I prefer springing) so you can get a good second hand pair.
Maillards were your above basic raleigh standard and lasted pretty well.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

You're right Sittingduck. I may have misread but assumed the bike was going to do utilitarian duty.

If narrower tyres are wanted then the Mavic open sport and open pro are another option from the same stable, as is FF's suggestion.

Yeah it's intended for 'training' rides and testing wether I like a drop bar , I have a modern hybrid which I use for utility rides. The Mavic Open Sports look the best option in my price bracket and are 120g's lighter per rim than the Rigida Chrima's... although the pair will cost a £10 more, I'm edging towards the Open Sports...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yep - I just googled Mavic prices. Open Sports can be had for a shade over 20 quid each. Not bad! Open Pro are roughly double that.
I had a handbuilt Mavic A319 rear on a hybrid a few years ago. Solid as a rock! Ran Open Sports on a Boardman Fixed/SS for a while and they were ok, although did go out of true a fair bit. In fairness I think it was more to do with the quality of the build and my weight at the time, than the rims, themselves. I have read excellent reviews on Open Sports...!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
what was the problem? I had loads of eyelets pull out of them. The shop said over tensioned, the rigida importer claimed under tensioned - I think s*** rims were responsible!!!

Problem was a cpl of eyelets coming out, yeah. Eventually the hub also bust on the flange round the spoke holes too! that was on the rear that was hand built by SPA. The rear that was handbuilt by SD has been more successful :tongue:

Top Bottom