Cheap Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyPeace

I've been given an 80's/90's racer, though it's in a bad way (the previous owner coverted it to a flat bar) he also said there was a problem with the tires, as they seem to buldge at the valves. I took a look and it appears the rims are for tubs, not the clinchers that it currently has on it. I realy don't want to spend much on this bike and from what I can see I can have it up and running with just new cables,replacing the rims, and replacing the bearings... I have cables and bearings but no rims. Any suggestions on cheap rims, 36 hole?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mavic CXP22's are pretty cheap and look nice, tough enough for armageddon.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

Mavic CXP22's are pretty cheap and look nice, tough enough for armageddon.
I can only find those for £50 a set, which granted is cheap... am I dreaming to think I could find a set of rims for less?
2013-04-11190523_zps8cb232f8.jpg

e-rider

crappy member
clinchers will surely not fit at all on tubular rims?
new cheap rims will require new spokes of correct length too - total cost = not so cheap! Also , cheap rims and cheap spokes are not worth the bother - just buy some fairly cheap wheels such as Shimano R500 or similar

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'd be having a look at them old hubs - probably naff but with tubs there is always the chance that they are Campagnolo Record or Chorus.

Anyway - you don't want rims as you would also need new spokes (different length almost certainly needed).

It is going to be way cheaper soucing a new pair of wheels.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

Had a scout about and I'm thinking either
these dirt cheap rims from ebay @ £31 the pair inluding delivery (£24 if I cycle down to collect them)
or
mavic open sports at £42 per pair

I'm not sure how wise it is to spend less here and I think the cheap 'deep section' rims will cause me problems when I relace the wheels, as the rims on at the moment have a low profile.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

I'd be having a look at them old hubs - probably naff but with tubs there is always the chance that they are Campagnolo Record or Chorus.

Anyway - you don't want rims as you would also need new spokes (different length almost certainly needed).

It is going to be way cheaper soucing a new pair of wheels.

I've measured the Effective Rim Diamater of the existing rims, which is around 605mm, which should work fine with the Mavic Opens, which I think have a ERD of 606mm... If I put high profile rims I need to change the spokes and it just wouldn't be worth doing. I did think of just getting some new wheels, but this is problematic as the OLD is 120mm, perfect if I wanted to turn it into a single speed...but I was hoping to keep the gears for now. The hubs are Maillard brand, of which I'm unfamiliar, though they seem servicable enough. The purpose of this bike is to try a drop bar , as currently I only have flat bar bikes, before buying something more tasty.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

clinchers will surely not fit at all on tubular rims?
They are steel rims, and there's no hook for the bead to sit under, just a smooth surface on the inside. I'm just assuming this means they are for tubs, though would be happy to be corrected. They have clinchers on them, but both flat...when inflated the tire buldges by the valves and the bead shows...would be lethal to ride.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Which is why I recommended them, given that the title of the thread is 'Cheap Rims...'
I had problems with one Chrina rim but I think it was probably as much to do wih overtension in the spokes then anything else. I also built a set of wheels onto Chrina 32h rims and have been using them as day-to-day commuter wheels through all weathers, for about a year or so, now. Never had a problem but it's not really a 'proper' road bike - just my Dawes Audax Winter hack ;)

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

Chrina's are acceptable for the price and a very cheap build - I binned a couple recently - not good enough for a 'proper' road bike though!!!

I'd like to go out and buy decent wheels for it, but for a bike I will use until August, it's bad economics...unless the resale value of the bike would cover it, which I doubt...the previous owner got it off freecycle and it was given to me. It is a raliegh but I don't think it's old enough to be worth ought. I may have to get the Rigida rims and live with the jibes from passing cyclists, snearing at my lack of proper racing wheels.

Top Bottom