Cheap tourer that's still good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's the least you need to spend to get a touring bike that is still good? There's a tour de fer 10 for £1199. A decent bike. Also Spa tourer for £1075 in flat bar 9 speed, £950 in flat bar 8 speed. There's a company called Adventure used to sell a £450 tourer that appeared as a very budget option in top10 touring bike lists but it's not sold now I believe.

What others? Can you get a decent tourer for less?

I'm thinking of a bike that can take rear and front rack plus handle the resulting load. It's for my partner who's a 16"-18" mtb bike size or about 48-51cm tourer/road/hybrid bike size I think. Any hybrid bikes suit as a tourer too? Bike would be a bike for loaded and unloaded riding.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Spa Cycles are perhaps the best value for money out there for full on touring. The bikes are well designed, thoughtfully spec'd and reasonable on the wallet.

9 speed is about the sweet spot for touring. Parts are durable, readily available and relatively cheap.

You could go a bit lower (£) at Decathlon. They sell trekking bikes which are pretty decent. Much will depend on the anticipated use.

Last edited:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
When shopping for a 'cheap' tourer, make sure you know what size bottom gear you need for the style of touring you hope to do and then check your prospective purchase meets that requirement.

For instance many of us who cycle camp in hilly areas like a very low (18 inch) bottom gear. Many cheaper bikes use road gear components which don't go that low. If you have to make major changes to a bike then the 'cheap' price can quickly become expensive. Be wary of knowledgeable cyclists telling you that they've never used such a low gear or modifying bikes is always a simple matter of x, y or z. It ain't always - just double check you'll end up with the gearing you need at a price you want.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My first few tours were on a Spesh hybrid (Globe Sport) which cost about £300 iirc. Flat bars, rack mounts & a triple chain ring was a brilliant bike :okay: Not sure you'd get the same now for so little, but it depends how often you are likely to go touring & how deep your pockets are :laugh: When I had that bike, I toured once or twice a year for 3 or days max & didn't have much free cash to spend on bikes. It did me for comuting & touring 🤞

I would of thought the lower value bike the better with the ugliest paint job to try to reduce the chance of someone stealing it. I've seen people highly recommend old style rigid mountain bikes with 26" wheels and they then fit butterfly handlebars and non-indexed shifters. It needs to be a freehub based hub and a strong long life steel cassette. The non-indexed shifters means you don't have to keep adjusting the cable tension and you can use a wider range of cassettes if you had to replace one on the tour. I.e. you can start with a 8 but if you had to replace with a 9 it wouldn't be a problem with a non-indexed shifter. Less maintenance and less likely to disappear are two great prorities for touring.

If I wanted a cheap new tourer I'd probably go for a Carrera Subway and fit butterfly handlebars as long as you are touring where replacement 27.5" tyres are available.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I paid not a lot for a Koga Miyata Roadrunner second hand and it would do a tour with ease and still be going long after others.

Agree with posts above about gearing, the desirability of having something that doesn't look too flash/nickable. Plus the simplicity of flat bar.
Have never ridden one but have read and heard lots of good things about Spa tourers and they look very sensibly specced.
Also agree with going for 8 or 9 speed - definitely no need for anything above 9 speed if you use a triple.
Hybrids (I'd personally go for steel) definitely make good tourers - if you are handy you can pick up second hand ones and replace certain bits. Invest in good wheels and use the money saved by buying second-hand to invest in premium quality racks and panniers (Tubus and Ortlieb for me) which can of course be used on other bikes you have now or may get in the future.

This cost me £30 though of course stuff was added. 8 speed triple though have built up a related bike as a 9 speed triple - the basis of that cost me £21. Both quality steel.

As you can see I don't go easy on the loading :smile: - rides fine.

Nobody has yet mentioned that icon of touring bikes the Dawes Galaxy. Discontinued last year but still plenty available secondhand. Good vintage ones attract a premium but you should be able get one for reasonable money.
This is the bike that all the tourers mentioned earlier are modelled on.

View attachment 623276
that's a more modern one isn't it? sloping top-tube.
If buying second hand OP needs to decide whether they prefer level or sloping.
Sloping for me for practical reasons though i appreciate the classic appearance of level.

Top Bottom