Cheap winter tires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have just treated both my bikes to a full set of new tires. The old ones still had tread on them but I needed something with a bit more rubber to give me the grip I needed in the wet.
I changed them on Friday and have commuted both yesterday and today. The new tires are lovely and smooth, and surprisingly have a lot of grip even though I havent worn them in yet.

Here is a link to where I got them from: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Nutrak-Road-Tyre_46531.htm
Currently at £10.96 so get stocking up!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a personal thing but tyres are one of the areas that I prefer to buy a quality make rather than try and save the pennies. As you're one of our higher mileage riders I shall be interested to hear how many miles you get out of these.

BTW Matthew - any chance of setting your spell checker to UK English. It's tyres.;)

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
BTW Matthew - any chance of setting your spell checker to UK English. It's tyres.;)
Stupid thing is set to default. (Thats Fujitsu laptops for ya!).

I have a Conti City Ride tyre which has lasted me 3 years (or 15000 miles). It still has plenty of tread on it but is starting to perish. I think the rubber becomes solid after a certain period of weathering and doesnt wear away like it should do (which is probably a bad thing but it still works fine).

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Stupid thing is set to default. (Thats Fujitsu laptops for ya!).
Thanks.:thumbsup:

I have a Conti City Ride tyre which has lasted me 3 years (or 15000 miles). It still has plenty of tread on it but is starting to perish. I think the rubber becomes solid after a certain period of weathering and doesnt wear away like it should do (which is probably a bad thing but it still works fine).
Impressive mileage.:smile: You'll be lucky to get anything like that out of the cheaper ones I suspect.

You do tend to get surface cracking of the rubber after a few years use. In my experience it doesn't affect the performance of the tyre (bearing in mind my riding isn't race oriented or anything) and as long as the fabric carcass isn't exposed or showing signs of fraying it's not something I'd worry about.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi my wife as had Nutrak tyres on it for over 12 months and no problems so far,whilst i agree with @Rickshaw Phil most of the now quality makes had to start at the bottom lol and most of them also still make a cheaper brand under different names having worked in the tyre industry for 43 yrs I have seen many changes to brand perception on my bike it as Michelin's on it only because being an retired employee I get a free set every 3 years or so ( and it aint easy getting them I can tell you) so if these wear out before the next set depending on the time of year as to what I put on her.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
You do tend to get surface cracking of the rubber after a few years use. In my experience it doesn't affect the performance of the tyre (bearing in mind my riding isn't race oriented or anything) and as long as the fabric carcass isn't exposed or showing signs of fraying it's not something I'd worry about.
I even have a bit of vegetation growing in the groove of the tyre. She has had a good life.

sreten

Hi,

It you want cheap, tough, quality puncture protected winter tyres in 700Cx28mm+ then :
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-city-road-tyre/rp-prod26232
The reflective version is the same price as standard, so go for that.
At £11 a pop delivered they are very nice quality tyres, as long as you want
something a bit heavier and tougher and puncture protected than some others.
Stilll they roll well and will last for ages. Great quality for the price.

rgds, sreten.

lpretro1

Grip on Michelins isn't so good in wet. It is also a myth that tyres with tread on the grip better than smooth ones. Bike tyres are not like car tyres in that respect because of the much smaller width and the amount of contact with the road. Any tyre, treaded or smooth will not grip so well on wet white lines, leaves, grids etc.And anotehr important thing in winter is to get enough heat into a tyre - folk forget that cold tyres never grip as well as hot ones.

sreten

Grip on Michelins isn't so good in wet. It is also a myth that tyres with tread on the grip better than smooth ones.

Hi,

The grip isn't great, but overall the tyres are for £11 delivered.
Any high mileage tyre is never going to have loads of grip.

Myths are myths. Tyres with tread will grip better in slightly
loose or muddy conditions than slicks, tread is no use at
all on nice wet tarmac, or dry, for that matter.

I have no issues with dry versus wet grip on my Michelin,
or any of my other Schwalbe tyres. Wet is wet, more
hazards, but they all grip just fine on wet tarmac.

rgds, sreten.

Top Bottom