Cheaper workstands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Being in th emiddle of a maintenance course I would like a stand to put in my garage to work on my bike. Thing is they are very expensive and from what i can tell the lower end stands are nothing short of lightweight feeble micropphone/guitar amp type stands which seem likely to be unstable under the weight of a 64cm galaxy.

I saw this:
http://www.shinybikes.com/bikes/tacx-t3000-workstand-folding.html

is this type Any good???

I also thought it would be cool to have a stand I can fix to my brick garage wall thereby avoiding th eneed for the floor stand...I can tfind one though...do such things exist?;)

P.H

Über Member
Union make an excellent clamp type workstand, it gets re-badged as all sorts including EBC and Ribble, around £60.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=BIKEWORK200000000000

I made one against a wall, I soon got fed up with turning the bike round. It's often an advanrtage to be able to get to both sides, like when adjusting brakes.

Tynan

Veteran
search the site for this under my name, I bought one for £30 something pounds and it's absolutely fine pisser to track down in google though, only my tightness let me find it first time around, holds the bike level too

Gary D

BTFB,
There are Park Tools PCS-9's that appear on Ebay quite often. They go for around £50-55 plus P & P.

I have just bought myself a PCS-10 from Surosa Cycles and it is the cheapest I have found anywhere. £80.
http://www.surosa.co.uk/3138/products/Park_Workstand_PCS10_Home_Mechanic.aspx
They quote free postage for over £50 but don't make it clear if that includes heavier items such as this (I collected mine).

I have only used it once but initial impressions are good. I wouldn't say it holds the bike rock solid, like some of the reviews I have read, but it is OK. Access to all areas on the bike is good. Incidentally, the pictures you see of these type of stands make them look quite flimsy, almost meccano like. However, when you see them in the flesh they are not. They are heavy and very stable.

I also have another stand which I bought from SJS and it is the type that the BB sits in a cradle and the down tube is clamped in a support. Possibly similar to the one in your link?
Personally, I wouldn't recommend this type. Firstly, my bikes never sit properly in the BB cradle so the first time you turn the pedals the bike moves to the side. Secondly, it makes cleaning around the underneath of the down tube and BB area very difficult - the areas that get most dirty! Also, on mine, it is very difficult to get the rear wheel out once it is in the stand.

Happy hunting,

Gary.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Well it's not perfect but it was cheap...free in fact!

I have jus tbeen out in the garage an dhave used my old car rack as a bike stand by fixing it onto the garage wall and ceiling rafters. It works perfectly!

e-rider

crappy member
Get the PCS-9 Park Tools Stand for about £60 - a great investment and a great stand for the money. I wouldn't consider any other in this price range!

bonj2

bloody hell btfb, if there's ever a national shortage of headset spacers we'll know whose door to come banging on!

Top Bottom