Cheapest bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoMeR

Über Member
After reading many items on LEJOG & long distance touring in general it started me thinking, what is the cheapest/oldest bike that anyone has ridden to complete these tours.

It's been done on a penny farthing. That's pretty old.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's been done on a penny farthing. That's pretty old.

True, but that had specially-built rims / other components. Saw it on the 300km Everybody Rides to Skeggy audax and at the Beeley Moor hillclimb last year: he couldn't get it to stop downhill before the start :eek:

PBP's been ridden on some machines from the early 1900's, but again not cheap.

I'm guessing LEJOG's been ridden on cheap MTB's / town bikes by those taking their time.

Sharky

Guru
Cheap probably implies heavier and some components might wear quicker, but as long as you get a few miles in before you make the journey to check out reliability and comfort, you should be OK. Same for older bikes, as long as they have been checked out for worn bits, you will be OK.

OP
OP
R

RoMeR

Über Member
Cheap probably implies heavier and some components might wear quicker, but as long as you get a few miles in before you make the journey to check out reliability and comfort, you should be OK. Same for older bikes, as long as they have been checked out for worn bits, you will be OK.
Not thinking of doing it, just seems that everyone rides touring specific bikes.

And

Fun sponge
True, but that had specially-built rims / other components. Saw it on the 300km Everybody Rides to Skeggy audax and at the Beeley Moor hillclimb last year: he couldn't get it to stop downhill before the start :eek:
Sort of true - Richards penny (the LEJOG penny) is a modern build; the frame/forks is a contemporary design/build, the front wheel rim was a standard item, procured from one of the few manufacturers still making them, same for the front tyre and hub (the spokes are welding rods!), the back wheel is a nasty thing from a cheap bike and the rear and only brake is a 'deep drop' Tektro item - nothing was specially built as such. Yes, it can be a handful to stop as it still weighs a lot....
Richard is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet with an infectious enthusiasm for life, especially cycling. We were part of the support crew for this endeavour - it was a hell of a journey, even for us in the camper vans. If you have a spare 18 or so minutes, have a look here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgQFufRS3bY

Also, if anyone is tempted to do anything like this, we planned, planned and planned some more for this - if I can be any help, contact me :okay:

MarkF

Guru
I met a Spanish guy lost in Saltaire a few years back, he was doing Malaga to Edinburgh and back. I wouldn't have bothered to rescue his bike from a skip, it was a girls cheap MTB bike, bright yellow, utterly shagged and way too small for him. His stuff was carried in assorted plastic bags secured with bungees. We went for a drink and it became clear he knew nothing at all about bicycles or touring, he'd just decided to do it, and he did and we still keep in touch. I'd value that bike at £20 tops.:okay:

tyred

Legendary Member
You can tour on virtually any bike so long as it fits and is comfortable and in decent mechanical order.

I have toured on bikes which are older than me. I had planned a short tour on a 1950s rod braked roadster to a hostel I likd but it probably won't happen now as the hostel is closed at the moment. My preferred touring bike at the moment is an early 90s catalogue MTB with a few tweaks and I fi d it works well as it is comfortable for me, the 2 inch wide tyres give more options in terms of where I can ride it and it's strong and sturdy. The weight of the frame isn't really relevant when you hang a few panniers on to it and plonk my 13 stone on the saddle.

Not thinking of doing it, just seems that everyone rides touring specific bikes.
I think there's a subset of people who participate in online fora and the like - they are not the only ones doing these types of tours.

I know a guy who built a tandem by welding two old bikes together and took off for a tour in France with his girlfriend. Similarly, I witnessed a lady picking up her brand new rohloff touring bike (€4,000+) in a shop in NL and when I asked her where she was going to go she replied it was to do the shopping!
I'm of the opinion that what's beating in your chest is far more important than what's under your ass.^_^

For what it's worth I ride a 20 year old + MTB and it's carried me a fair distance.

I met a Spanish guy lost in Saltaire a few years back, he was doing Malaga to Edinburgh and back. I wouldn't have bothered to rescue his bike from a skip, it was a girls cheap MTB bike, bright yellow, utterly shagged and way too small for him. His stuff was carried in assorted plastic bags secured with bungees. We went for a drink and it became clear he knew nothing at all about bicycles or touring, he'd just decided to do it, and he did and we still keep in touch. I'd value that bike at £20 tops.:okay:
Can't help but ask what pushed him to edinburgh on this driven mission. A woman? Nice story anyway, thanks, trust he enjoyed the yorkshire beer.

One of my tourers cost me £30.
It has had other bits added to/swapped over to it though.
I had another smaller version of the same bike (the newer one is a better natural fit),popped into a local bike shop with it. One of the customers said he'd recently had a facebook post from a mate who was halfway across the Stans on his.

MarkF

Guru
Can't help but ask what pushed him to edinburgh on this driven mission. A woman? Nice story anyway, thanks, trust he enjoyed the yorkshire beer.

Can't recall exactly but it was something cultural, then he went back down via the lake district and onto Liverpool to see some Beatles stuff. He had a list of stuff he wanted to see as he meandered about, he'd set off with a plan.:okay:

Top Bottom