Cheapest camera.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Funds are really tight at the moment so whats the cheapest camera I could get.
Doesn't need to be HD but does need to be good enough to record evidence and car reg numbers with a runtime of 2.5 Hrs.

Any rough ideas?

The record time will be more to do with the hard disk – or memory card (HD) size than to do with the camera. It’s a function of the HD size and resolution of the camera. I’d personally go for the highest resolution camera you can afford (the most definition ie most chance of capturing a reg) but this comes at a cost of needing more space (HD size) to record the video on

So for example these cameras –
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-Scientific-ATC2K-ATC2000-Action/dp/B000F5FKHI

or this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-Scientific-Water-proof-Action-Camera/dp/B000M9AXX8/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1

when set to their highest resolutions (640x480 pixles – almost as big as a uk tv ) will take the same amount of HD space to record images – if you lower the resolution the image will become more “fuzzy” or pixilated at the same size
but they should record for the same time on the same memory card –

go for the biggest memory card you can afford – but remember they will probably halve in price every few months

Ask magnatom how many hours (or more probably minutes) of footage he can get on his cards and how big they are – 2.5 hours sounds pretty large to me (depending on the compression the camera uses) but I should think that a 2.5 hour filming at 640 x 280 would need several GB’s of memory card.

Hope this helps

I must admit, I can't remember how much you can get on the atc 2000.

Have a look at some of the cameras on www.actioncameras.co.uk or www.dogcamsport.co.uk. They aren't necessarily the cheapest, but they have a good range. Another place to look is helmetcameracentral.com which has some reviews.

Personally I want a VIO POV.1! Anyone have a spare few hundred quid.....;)

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for the links, appreciated :blush:

Assuming I went for something like the ATC2K, what are your comments on the record time as below?
My commute is 2Hr 10 as a minimum so I'd really need the capacity for 2.5Hours to be comfortable.

EDIT: Sorry, just read the first line of your post properly ;) can you put a bigger card/cards in?

EDIT AGAIN Ah, its 2 Hours with the 2Gb card.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
3 hours something on the 2GB card with the ATC2000 if you go for 15fps, medium resolution. 1hr30 with 15fps, 640x480. This is what I use on my commute, then just delete and record again for the way home.

Like Magnatom, I wanna POV.1. I'm so tempted to just stump up the cash...

Iceniner

They have brought out the ATC3000 now? that might be worth looking at as they have supposedly improved the field of view and image quality a bit ... or so the press releases tell us. Should be around the same price i expect. It can also take high capacity SD cards (the ATC2K can't) so it can have 4GB cards in it bring up your run time to 2 hours-ish on highest res setting etc.

BentMikey said:
3 hours something on the 2GB card with the ATC2000 if you go for 15fps, medium resolution. 1hr30 with 15fps, 640x480. This is what I use on my commute, then just delete and record again for the way home.

Like Magnatom, I wanna POV.1. I'm so tempted to just stump up the cash...

I think I may see if I can get one for "evaluation" via our U.S. production unit.

Jaded

magnatom said:
Personally I want a VIO POV.1! Anyone have a spare few hundred quid.....:angry:

They are ver, ver nice. Heavy when compare with an all in one, but otherwise perfect. The loop facility and remote control are a dream.

Oh go on Mike. You know you really want to buy one. No point in humming and hawing, just get online and get one. Go on, go on, go on!:biggrin: