Cheapest GPS computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

Been on a few ride out recently, and, erm....got a bit lost!

I have seen GPS computers like the Garmin edge 305 that have a breadcrum feature so you can find your way back. They seem to retail around £200 which seems quite expecsive when you consider a cheap tomtom with colour screen and maps is about £100.

So, short of dropping actual breadcrumbs, what is the cheapest way to get some sort of on bike route tracking (without attaching a tomtom to my handlebars?)

Paul.

AlanW

Guru
Paulkraken said:
So, short of dropping actual breadcrumbs, what is the cheapest way to get some sort of on bike route tracking (without attaching a tomtom to my handlebars?)

A map!

;)

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
on a slightly related note..have people tried using a tom tom sat nav whilst on the bike? Does it have a no motorway function etc

ttcycle said:
on a slightly related note..have people tried using a tom tom sat nav whilst on the bike? Does it have a no motorway function etc

Yes you can set it up to avoid motorways and you can set it up for walking or cycling

untitled.jpg

Simon

potsy

Rambler
I would love to have my tomtom with me whilst out on the bike,just haven't figured out a way to mount it on the handlebars yet.
With my sense of direction it would be great,come on people how do I do it?;)
I did once take it with me when I first got the bike,had it in my pocket in case I got lost.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
mmm thanks for that..something to think about in the future then.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I should have said I wasnt on my doorstep when I got lost. The weather by me was lousy but my brother works 15 miles away and he said it was sunny, and looked to stay that way so the bike was loaded into the car and off I went.

rich p said:
Signposts.
Only from one little village to the next, non of which I remembered passing. *see memory

rich p said:
Area was just out of coverage for my A-Z

rich p said:
common sense
Im used to having a tomtom to point me in the right direction. I havent been on a bike that long and it can be suprising how much distance can be covered (especially downhill) that can throw out mental route and time calculations when going back uphill.

rich p said:
Forgot to take that with me.

rich p said:
research.
It was a spur of the moment thing.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Assuming you have some idea of the area you are going to, print off an A4 page from one of the online mapping sites - I use Streetmap. At the right magnification you get superb OS maps. I print one side large scale, one side small to cover a wider area, fold and place in jersey pocket, "just in case".

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
if you really really want one get a garmin legend HCx and then buy, for less than £20 the sd card with opencyclemaps on it. I certainly intend to invest prior to embarking on an SR series attempt this year. Combination of tired, lost, wind, rain, darkness, mislaid reading glasses and unsignposted junctions does for me on a regular basis.

rb58

Enigma
I agree the suggestion of printing off maps and sticking them in the jacket pocket. I also use the iPhone maps app if ever I get lost. Comes with the iPhone, so cheap and cheerful (if you already have an iPhone) and hasn't let me down yet.

balzer69

The cheapest gps tracking system is likely a smartphone with gps. Google maps is free, and apps such as sportypal (free for android phones) or run-gps (not free, about $20 for windows mobile) can be used both to plan/track routes and as a computer. You could even install tomtom of you wanted. Most people would go out with a mobile anyway so you would avoid taking along too many gadgets. Battery life is the limiting factor- I get 5 hrs from my HTC hero.

Top Bottom