Cheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Football (soccer), athletics, tennis, baseball, I don't think any of them are as far ahead as cycling in catching cheats. May not have been the case even 5 years ago but it is now. If there hasn't been a scandal in the sport you follow it's because no one has been caught yet, not because it isn't happening.

oldroadman

Veteran
Football (soccer), athletics, tennis, baseball, I don't think any of them are as far ahead as cycling in catching cheats. May not have been the case even 5 years ago but it is now. If there hasn't been a scandal in the sport you follow it's because no one has been caught yet, not because it isn't happening.
Spot on. Certain sports seem not to have a problem simply because there is big money interest and any attempt to "taint" the image might harm vested interests.
I'll believe that cycling lacks credibility when all sports sign up properly to WADA and accept that doping cases are dealt with by them, not be NGBs who either impose miniscule sanctions, or find that players are "injured" for a period. Then we might see some interesting results. Until then cycling takes the lead in prevention and detection, and being very public about it. Unlike those "certain sports" who believe image is everything above even the health of competitors and the honesty of results.

OP
OP
J

JimmyC

Regular
It sounds to me like you are attempting to say that Armstrong was just doing what everyone else was and America are not the only cheats.

Quite an odd thread none the less. Especially when there are "cheats" in every major sport in the world.

Welcome to the board pal.
I don't know how you came up with that, but no. Not even close. Armstrong was a major embarrassment and a sham, in my book.
Yes, there are "cheats" in every major sport. American football and baseball come to mind, immediately. I believe cheating is a global problem, yes, that's true.

OP
OP
J

JimmyC

Regular
Its only a current way that people can try and cheat and only a current way that the authorities can try to catch them at it.
It is just this testing by its nature occurs in the heat of the race and glare of the cameras rather than on a subsequent phial of blood or pot of urine at a Lab.
The ethos is no different and I'm not sure live urine testing from Lucerne would make for a fascinating TV broadcast.

Motorsports vehicles are scrutinised for weight, aerodynamic etc infringements but it can't be done mid race so doesn't get the same publicly as this will whilst it is still a new and interesting turn of events.

You seem unaware of the bredth & history of cycling generally and the Tour de France beyond of the glare of Armstrong. Many of the same riders and teams in France now were racing the Tour of California a couple of months ago and they race at events around the world almost year round.

It all has a far murkier history than a bloke on a motorbike with a heat detector and Lance didn't invent cheating or professional cycling.

Have a look at the 1998 edition of the tour as a point in time to see how widespread and publicly disgraced it can get as the flagship event of global cycling and still survive and thrive.

Cycling is arguably the most honest in professional sports because it has been forced to face its demons and continues to make more visible and more credible efforts than most other sports to combat them.
Yes, I know that Armstrong didn't invent cheating. Holy God, where do you guys come up with this. I used Armstrong as an example, as he is probably one of the most high profile "cheats" here in the U.S. Maybe in the world, I don't know. I see that posting here must require absolute clarification of every sentence. Maybe every word...

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I was just saying to someone that the last time I had any faith that politics could work was when Tony Blair came to power! That turned out well ... :whistle:

:giggle:

OP
OP
J

JimmyC

Regular
You referred solely to LA and showed little awareness of the wider sport. Can only respond to what you write.
If I had started typing about all the cheating, especially doping, starting with just American sports, I'd still be writing. Also, since this is a cycling forum and not NFL Pro Football, it makes more sense than starting the thread with steroids and drug it makes more sense to talk about cycling. So I chose one shameful doper that everyone on this forum is aware of, to make a point with. Also I'm typing in American English, not "proper" English, that may be a problem too. We've kind of bastardized it up a little over the years.^_^ I got serious about cycling circa 1973, with my first "real" bike, a Schwinn Paramount. Except for a couple of assignments in the military, and a couple of years off with a serious neck injury, I've been doing it since. So, while maybe not the guru you may be, I am at least, somewhat "aware" of the sport.:tongue:
J.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Fair play, my apologies for making assumptions. I started on with other sports too but it just spreads like knotweed when you think about it. As a watching public I think we're all suckers to a degree for the spectacle and can kind of turn a blind eye when it suits. The clamour in cycling just got so loud that it had to be addressed more seriously. I still think that is a good thing even if to the casual observer it does draw attention to visibly hunting the negatives rarher than accentuating the positives.

I guess the NFLs most recent big story that could have given us the same sort of public show would be to stand in the middle of the field before kick off testing all the game balls to make sure the Patriots haven't been left in charge of inflating them ;)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I could barely find my bike, let alone ride it if I was on drugs:eek:
Never had a problem since I got this.

trike 004.JPG

:cycle: :becool: :giggle:

OP
OP
J

JimmyC

Regular
Fair play, my apologies for making assumptions. I started on with other sports too but it just spreads like knotweed when you think about it. As a watching public I think we're all suckers to a degree for the spectacle and can kind of turn a blind eye when it suits. The clamour in cycling just got so loud that it had to be addressed more seriously. I still think that is a good thing even if to the casual observer it does draw attention to visibly hunting the negatives rarher than accentuating the positives.

I guess the NFLs most recent big story that could have given us the same sort of public show would be to stand in the middle of the field before kick off testing all the game balls to make sure the Patriots haven't been left in charge of inflating them ;)
Yeah, we have to be the first for everything stupid. "Ball Doping"...:blush:

Top Bottom