Check my list!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
This summer me and my nine year old son are going cycle camping. Three days/ two nights cycling round Tissington, High Peak and Carsington.

First time cycle camping for me, first "tour" for my son - he can't wait.

Can you check my list please? Bear in mind, we'll never be far from civilisation, we're on well marked mostly traffic free paths, the campsites we're staying at are pub gardens and the only reason I'm taking cooking gear is to give LO an authentic cycle camping experience!!

Cooking/ Domestic
Bowl
spork
burner, gas, wind deflector
2 pans
washing up liquid
dish sponge
few pegs.

Sleeping:
Tent, poles, pegs
Sleeping bag, liner, dry bag
Self inflating mat
head torch
Thing that turns sleeping mat into a seat!

Food
Super noodles!
water
Porridge with sugar and milk powder
hot chocolate sachets

Clothes
2 pairs shorts/leggings
2 t shirts
2 pairs socks
waterproof
gloves
sunglasses
trainers
fleece
hat

Toiletries
Shampoo & conditioner
Soap
moisturiser
toothbrush and toothpaste towel
suncream
lip balm

First Aid
Plasters
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
piriton

Bike
Puncture kit
pump
multi tool
duct tape
Map

I know this list is severely lacking in some area's, so feel free to point out where. My mechanical ability stops at repairing a puncture, so suggesting spoke mending equipment etc is pointless as such an eventually would result in a phonecall home for collection!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Forgot to add:

Entertainment
Top Trumps cards

P.H

Über Member
Pillow? Or maybe you're already planning to use something else. It's something that if I don't get right stops me getting a good nights sleep.
I always carry a few J-Cloths, multiple uses from flannel to wiping dew/condensation off the tent.
I'd also swap the washing up liquid, shampoo and soap for some travel wash, though if you're taking quantities for a couple of days I doubt there'd be much difference.
Have a good trip, those trails are an excellent way to see the area.

Norm

No mention of phone and only a head torch, I'd take a couple of torches as well as the bike lights.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Mugs and tea bags added, phone is a surgical attachment, I think we'll manage with bike lights/head torches (not planning on being out in the dark).

Reminded me to add spare batteries though.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I was planning on taking a tiny little 50ml bottle of washing up liquid, shampoo and moisturiser. A small bit of soap chopped off my bar at home.

We both have eczema, so we have to be careful what we wash with.

Just remembered - comb.

billflat12

Veteran
I would just call at a local convenience store late afternoon for supper/breakfasts etc. maybe consider a better variety of drinks/soup sachet,s & quality snacks etc. to re-fuel . Also a suitable water container & a good insect repellant is a must , Try to think multi-use. like a hat with led,s instead of your headtorch & hat etc. .Enamel mugs are a good idea too as you can also use them to boil water, Them lightweight square camping pans also serve as a bowl to eat from. , you.ll find most of the above items are plentiful in local pound stores at the moment due to our recent wet weather.
Don,t rule out zip ties or that spoke key if your multitool is lacking one, you do find most fellow cyclists will stop if you have a problem.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I'm reliably informed by my OH that my multi tool has a spoke key and a chain tool!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Thanks guys, going out tomorrow to buy a couple of bits to prepare!
Do you think my clothing list is adequate?

billflat12

Veteran
Amount of clothing is a personal thing but clothing that,s easily dried is definitely a bonus, maybe add some padded shorts if you plan on spending time in the saddle, oh and compass + can-opener, mostly hope any phone with a camera + radio for weather forecasts holds it,s charge well, basically you will enjoy your time by keeping things simple.

Top Bottom