Check your bike regularly!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBB

Veteran
Since I suddenly lost steering on my old commuter bike (awful over-recessed stem-type, tricky to get leverage) I always check all bolts now in my weekly check/lube. Takes me 10 minutes to do the car and the bike together, time well spent.

D

Deleted member 1258

I give my bikes a clean and check over once a week, if anything doesn't feel right on a ride I'll check it out.

fullcycle

I don't know whether its physcological but after ive cleaned my bike and checked it over etc my ride always seems smoother. could be the added piece of mind i guess

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't know whether its physcological but after ive cleaned my bike and checked it over etc my ride always seems smoother. could be the added piece of mind i guess

Agree with you there.
A smooth running, clean bike makes for a faster bike...

Well I like to think so anyway.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Since embarking on my own builds, I am acutely aware as to the minute bits of metal seperating a rider from disaster. Every bike gets at least a weekly once over and if embarking on a RIDE instead of normal daily use, I do a quick check on tyres, gears, wheels, brakes and stem/handlebars. You know it makes sense.

Crankarm

Guru
Last Sunday I gave my old commute bike the weekly wash, she definitely was feeling very sluggish and squeaky that week.

I cleaned and lubed the chain, replaced the rear derailleur (only a cheap tourney and was needing replacing) and cleaned and lubed the rear free hub, then I noticed something, on my rear brake calliper one of the break blocks was pointing at a funny angle, I reached over to twist it back in position only to find it fall off in my hand!!! (it looked corroded, white but no rust) I'm guessing this was what was making my ride feel sluggish as the brake block was resting on the wheel although I didn't notice any noises.

I'm think I got away with a potentially dangerous brake failure, so will now be checking them before every ride, so might be worth doing the same if you don't already do as you never know!!

BTW my LBS fitted this only 2 months ago, I have lost a lot of faith in them as when I first had it fitted it had worked itself loose only two days later and I had to re-tighten after that it was fine!

You got an LBS to fit brake blocks ................ No sympathy as this is a really easy job.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Mended a slow puncture on the front tyre of the Giant dash yesterday, then thought I'd better check the rear. Washing the tyre down I felt a bulge in the tread area. On inspection the tyre seems to be damaged by a sort of scuff, or it could even have been melted by something.
Anyhow, Since the weekend, I've replaced two tyres and repaired one slow puncture on two different bikes that were only found by checks before leaving home.

Top Bottom