Check your cleat bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Just when I thought I was mastering the SPDs came to a junction and left foot wouldnt release:ohmy: managed to wobble about a bit then proceed wondering where there was a nice soft grassy bank or would I just have to keep pedalling for ever.

Right foot came out after a couple of attempts needing more foot angle than usual to release.

The screws holding the cleats on had slackened off a bit allowing the plates to twist a bit.Simple to fix but could have resulted in yet another dead fly impression.;)

Chrisc

Guru
Dead fly! Ha!

Dilbert

Also done this. I had to take the shoe off then take the pedal off the bike and attack it with a screwdriver to separate them. Fortunately I had already got one foot out OK.

I am more than happy to use toeclips on my bike but had cleats on my recumbent trike before this one (tadpole & absolutely necessary).

After buying some new cycling shoes I went for a ride on my bike & when I returned I found the cleat cover on the shoes had come off. Damn it I'd forgotten to check they were screwed down hard, I'd never had to check before though. I went back part of the route, but didn't find it. So I have a new cycling shoe minus cleat cover, and I don't want to put cleats on them! They are Nike ladies ones & don't know what model as I've forgotten where I put them!

GrasB

Veteran
Kinda had this & the solution has 2 words - thread lock

Get your cleat position right, mark it on the sole of your shoe. Remove cleat, apply non-perminent thread lock, reposition cleat, tighten down & jobs a good 'un.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
went to check mine then realised that I rode in flats and had no cleats, cleat holes, cleat cover plates, screws ot special shoes to worry about, what a relief:evil:

longers

Legendary Member
Garz said:
On a side note, anyone experience squeaky cleats every once in a while?

Yep, have tickled the front part with some emery paper to sort it out before realising we've a miniature sand blasting kit at work. It works for a month or two and it needs doing again actually.

Popping them out occasionally and greasing the threads is a good idea, maybe soon seeing as the roads are going to be salty for a couple of months.

And a dab of silicon sealant in the bolt head is a good idea too.