Check your cranks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
What's being in a group got to do with it? Steel cranks pulled off by magnetic attraction of steel parts on other nearby bikes?

Let me think??? Oh yes you fall off or someone else does, you get hit by other bikes.
And probably racing..
Single file with a gap is obviously safer.

Levo-Lon

Guru
It's not unlucky - its negligence. The rider had the opportunity to do a pre ride check, as do we all, and he clearly chose not to do so. Cyclists make their own luck with this type of thing.

My point was more to do with falling off when sat.. didn't really get that..you just steer with no power..
Easy when off the seat giving it the beans, anyone's going tarmac munching when that happens..

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Easy when off the seat giving it the beans, anyone's going tarmac munching when that happens..
Not necessarily.
One of my better saves was out the saddle sprinting into a gyratory, on fixed, when the pedal axle snapped.
One foot bounced off the road, pedal body still attached, then flailed about in the air; the other foot was still going round with its pedal.

I had a square taper crank loosen on the way back from a bike shop BB change. It felt the oddest thing ever and I stopped to check, and take it back.
fair dos if on the way back.
Though you probably could have done it yourself.
And then fitted your own in future.
I hope you do now.
Care is needed not to cross-thread but other than that it's very straightforward.
Edit, my cross threading caution was related to the bb change.

Last edited:

Crank removal / refitting tool.

tool for tightening up crank bolts.

Tool for making sure cranks are unlikely to come off whilst riding.
That’s pretty much it.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Last edited:
Top Bottom