Check your equipment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Dilbert said:
+1 I've got some of these, which are plastic with a metal core and are great. I also need a decent pump.

Just looked them up, its quite amusing to see they are sold in sets of 2 but also state its easier if you have 3 to remove a tyre, so what do you do with the 4th one? Looks like a bit of profiteering!

Dilbert

zacklaws said:
Just looked them up, its quite amusing to see they are sold in sets of 2 but also state its easier if you have 3 to remove a tyre, so what do you do with the 4th one? Looks like a bit of profiteering!

Yes I had a chuckle to myself at that to, like selling shoes separately, but I have managed so far with two and I have had my road bike back tyre on and off about 10 times this week:blush:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Dilbert said:
Yes I had a chuckle to myself at that to, like selling shoes separately, but I have managed so far with two and I have had my road bike back tyre on and off about 10 times this week:blush:

PBK used to sell their own version - in 3s - at a fraction of the price, but inexplicably seem to have stopped stocking them.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays had a visit from the fairy about a month ago - and it was the first time that he tried to use his Aldi/Lidl pump ... which didn't manage to inflate the tyre. I'm now minus one of my pumps - I had two for different panniers ... now I have to remember to keep swapping it over.

Debian

I've had mini pumps fail on me as well, now I'm paranoid about them. I always carry two and always try them before I start a ride.

Also +1 about the tyre levers - I had a new set once that just went in the tool bag, the first time I needed them was when I discovered they must have been made out of an old fairy liquid bottle!

kewb

fudgedog said:
for every pump stroke in it sucked it out with the reverse ;). .

:sad::biggrin::biggrin:
you couldnt make it up how long were you at it before you realised ,
sorry op but that cracked me up karma will decide my punishment .

Chrisc

Guru
Checked my lidl pump after reading this and it gets 80psi in there. Enough to get home on. If fell off its bracket last night tho and three cars ran it over before I got back to it. Still works!

zacklaws

Guru
A couple more things that have cropped up very recently that can catch you out if your unprepared.

Most of the cyclists in my club do not fix punctured inner tubes but dump them when they get home but me being a Yorkshireman take them off them to take home to fix.

Very recently one rider had a blow out downhill, on examining the tube at home, I repaired one hole that I had found, but then found another, repaired that one and then found another which I also repaired, but it still would not pump up. On examining the tube closer, I found another 5 holes and there was probably more as I gave up looking. As the cost of the patches would probably be worth more than the inner tube I dumped it.

Thinking about it later, the puncture happened downhill at speed, so the rider could not slow down quickly and that probably caused all the holes, pinch punctures. The lessons in this scenario is, if punctured slow down quick and stop to prevent more damage (I have a tendency to roll on a good few yards more to a good spot to effect repairs, but not no more now), always ensure you do have enough patches in your kit and always ensure that you do have a spare or more innertubes for that multiple puncture that is unrepearable.

Another incident this weekend, rider punctured, I took the tube home and found I could not repair it very easily. I tried two different rubber solutions and two different types of patches but none would stick to the tube, even after a couple of hours the patch would just peel off or blow off, even gave the tube a good roughing up with sandpaper but that made no difference. In the end I did manage to patch it but I had left it overnight for it to bond, out on the road it would be a problem unless you have a spare or it is your last spare that has punctured.

Lesson here is if possible test the tube out and stick to tubes that you know will take a patch. The tube was a Continental race 28, sadly I have just bough 3 new Continental tubes but a different pattern so I shall have to try a small patch on one to see if they are OK now.

kewb

ive had that problem with tubes myself i put it down to the vulanising solutions ,
i now use skabs and havent had any problem with them so far , different adhesive ?

C

chillyuk

kewb said:
ive had that problem with tubes myself i put it down to the vulanising solutions ,
i now use skabs and havent had any problem with them so far , different adhesive ?

I have never heard of skabs.

Do they make a permanent repair or are they a get you home thing.

kewb

chillyuk said:
I have never heard of skabs.

Do they make a permanent repair or are they a get you home thing.

some say they arent permanent but ive got tubes with them that are in excess of 6months old ,
think they sold as permanent ?
very low profile self adhesive peel n stick jobs .

theres other brands aswell the halfords one is ok according to a friend but ive not used those myself .

tiny packaging easily fit 2pkts in a matchbox around six in a pack .

https://secure.slime.com/images/uploads/2007100214402283779_lrg.jpg

Top Bottom