Check Your Heart Rhythm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madders

Regular
Hmmm, I wonder what damage I am doing to myself breathing in all those fumes. This is very worrying as I'm sure silage, slurry and all that pollen in freshly mown hay can't be good for me.:scratch::laugh:

Just a point: HRM don't check for irregularities. They average out the number of beats over a period. To pick up irregularities you need something like an ECG, or a skilled operator with a stethoscope or just feeling your pulse at your wrist. Nurses feel the pulse for a few seconds after the machine has measured your pulse. They are listening for skipped or extra pulses.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I can't find the source, but somewhere there was a story that a metronomically regular a heart-beat signalled an increased risk of heart problems.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Just a point: HRM don't check for irregularities. They average out the number of beats over a period. To pick up irregularities you need something like an ECG, or a skilled operator with a stethoscope or just feeling your pulse at your wrist. Nurses feel the pulse for a few seconds after the machine has measured your pulse. They are listening for skipped or extra pulses.
The Polar one that I have has a picture of a tiny beating heart on the display, as well as a digital reading of pulse rate. You can certainly see missed beats.
polar_ft1_heart_rate_monitor.jpg

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I tend to keep away from heavy traffic as much as possible when on my commute to work which may help I dont know! It can be quite irritating at times breathing vehicle fumes, some days worse than others....

Nebulous

Guru
I came home on my bike earlier and still have my hrm on as I'm reading this. Fired it up and its sitting at 46! It sometimes comes down to 43 overnight, but I haven't seen it this low before when I'm up and about. Maybe all this cycling has done some good. Typing this has just sent it up to 51.

Top Bottom