check yours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris folder

Hi :hello: looking at my brompton the other day i noticed something different:eek: the silver pins that run though the hinges on main frame and the handle bar stem the end of the pins one of them has 3 cracks on the end of pin and other has 2 cracks i contacted brompton they said they do crack but it will not go into the main pin. Its when they seal the ends of pin they crack. I would not want the bike to fall in half when rideing i zoomed in on 2 brompton bikes online i could see cracks on the ends of the pins. Any of you on here have cracks on the ends of your hinge pins?

Lonestar

Veteran
Got a pic? I could check mine.Cheerzzzzzzzzz.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi:hello:its the silver pin that holds the bike together runs though the hinges you can just see the ends of them showing there silver look for cracks top and bottom. Not the thumbscrew pin you tighten up

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi:smile: i take it your pins have a crack or two? Brompton said they been asked meny times about the cracks on the pin ends

Last edited:
I'm not posting a picture of my crack.
Here's one I prepared earlier :laugh:
1545178.main_image.jpg

Joebody

Regular
Hi folks,

I found this thread and signed up just to post this (and a photo).

I was told the same by the Brompton people (indirectly via someone at the store it was bought from):
"Where the pin is pushed in from the factory, at each end the pin tapers out slightly so when it is pushed through it is under a lot of compression so the pin will not just fall out when riding along. Due to this high compression it can often create a small crack at the small inverted end of the pin and keeps it in place. Apparently it is very common and will most likely have been there from new."
QAKDIyB.jpg

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi great picture of what I'm on about:okay:i dont think some on here no what i was talking about. that's it the cracks on pin ends i have cracks just at one end of each pin. I must look at some bikes I'm store see if there cracked. When i first noticed it i was:eek: thought what if bike fell apart when rideing it

Last edited:
Top Bottom