Checkmate!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Anyone play chess online?
I used to be an okay player many years ago. Back at it in lockdown here https://lichess.org/
DM if you’re over there and we can have a game
Any other good chess sites or resources to share, fire away.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The link does not work.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I took up playing again towards the end of last year on chess.com. Although this was mainly driven by one of my nephews, who has taken up the game to help with his mental health.
Personally I prefer to physically play, and although I am part of my sister's support bubble, the current circumstances do make playing with my nephew, somewhat awkward.
My late Dad was very good player and I still have the Kasparov computer chess set we bought him.

Guy 3 doors down from us has 4 sons. They are all British Champions to some degree or other. Nice to talk to, but weird as can be. He used to be in charge of Heinz Baked Bean production!!!

Johnsop99

Veteran
Chess has really taken off online since lockdown. I help run Bude Chess and we regularly play in local, county & national competitions, both team and individual events, mostly on Lichess. Probably playing more now than when we were playing OTB.

OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Nice one. Good to hear the game is thriving. Find it relaxing and stimulating, but good for focus. Will never be great. Just don’t have that kind of brain... Like the wired chess champ x Heinz beans Venn diagram. Paints a picture

Brandane

Legendary Member
My 3 brothers and I, as well as my Dad, are quite keen chess players although not on line. We have all been British Champions at various levels. We play a lot obviously, when we are not working at the local Heinz beans factory. We also cycle a bit, but don't tell that weirdo 3 doors up from us who has a bike too. Nice to talk to, but mad as a box of frogs!

I played at the lowest level of our university league. There was nearly always beer at the table. I could sometimes beat one of the guys who had a proper "rating" when he played at school. So basically I was keen-but-rubbish.

I do the puzzles in the papers most weeks, but not sure I have the patience to play "properly" now. Always happy to play kids that challenge me though :P

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
When I was at school and playing, the local chess big wig was Brian Eley, who won the British Championship in 1972. Wondering what became of him, I googled him and he's been wanted for underage sex offences (on boys I guess) since 1997! He's believed to be either in Amsterdam or Thailand. There was something creepy about him.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Anyone play chess online?
I used to be an okay player many years ago. Back at it in lockdown here https://lichess.org/
DM if you’re over there and we can have a game
Any other good chess sites or resources to share, fire away.

That is an excellent site.

Currently got a number of correspondence games on the go. Rarely have time to play anything else against anyone but my wife.

We also play real time games on it whilst sitting on the sofa with our 2 moby's - saves setting up the real thing on the coffee table etc.

We love the analysis function which points out your mistakes and tells you what a Klutz you were. :smile:

My wife is forever on it solving puzzles and playing against the computer.

Top Bottom