'Checks Wallet....'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've seen this on a few occasions in the Land Rover Centre showroom, & wandered around it enviously

I didn't think they'd ever sell it, well, that's what they'd said about 15 years ago

Sadly, it's w-a-y out of my league;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-29047632

On the owners website;
http://www.landrovercentre.com/listings/yvb151h/

It features heavily in this book, which is on my shelves;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Range-Rover-Restorers-Carburettor/dp/1906133557/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409835672&sr=1-6&keywords=range rover

I can quite see it as it originally seemed to be as a farmers utility vehicle. I really cannot see how there is any appeal for this sort of thing on the road though. Most now seem to be a "Sport" edition with it written on the back which always makes me laugh. Can't think of anything on the road that is less sporty.

They did go rusty and were rather rubbish back then, but really that must be better than a car looing like this.

range%20rover%20evoque%20rear%20exterior[1].jpg

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I can quite see it as it originally seemed to be as a farmers utility vehicle. I really cannot see how there is any appeal for this sort of thing on the road though. Most now seem to be a "Sport" edition with it written on the back which always makes me laugh. Can't think of anything on the road that is less sporty.

They did go rusty and were rather rubbish back then, but really that must be better than a car looing like this.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdZp03EZ7JtzNmIO3JSNvh2iGWLI9CWtTKT4F-ipo2h0d9qM8g.jpg

My teenagers love the shape. Must be an age thing, Over the hill!

brand

I've seen this on a few occasions in the Land Rover Centre showroom, & wandered around it enviously

I didn't think they'd ever sell it, well, that's what they'd said about 15 years ago

Sadly, it's w-a-y out of my league;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-29047632

On the owners website;
http://www.landrovercentre.com/listings/yvb151h/

It features heavily in this book, which is on my shelves;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Range-Rover-Restorers-Carburettor/dp/1906133557/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409835672&sr=1-6&keywords=range rover
There is nothing like a bit of conspicuous consumption. No, in this case I will go for invidious consumption more pathetic than conspicuous consumption.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
In relation to motoring that is a fine example of a vehicle that massively affected the course of history. I hope and trust it stays in this country....

[**goes to check down back of sofa**]

Not that I agree with the 4x4 as a car thing but that example is what it is now and deserves its place in the spotlight.

brand

[QUOTE 3261625, member: 259"]You get more middle class people in Evans. Some of the people I've seen in Halfords probably have manual jobs.[/QUOTE] At least they won't pollute the atmosphere in a Land rover showroom!:welcome: Not

brand

Not that I agree with the 4x4 as a car thing but that example is what it is now and deserves its place in the spotlight.
advertised as safer vehicles, yet US statistics show they are the most likely to be involved in accident. Mainly rolling over on corners. Never seen a single gamekeeper use a vehicles that high. Perfect for a roll. Junk.

brand

I can quite see it as it originally seemed to be as a farmers utility vehicle.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdZp03EZ7JtzNmIO3JSNvh2iGWLI9CWtTKT4F-ipo2h0d9qM8g.jpg

They were never a farmers utility vehicle. Landowners conspicuous consumption vehicle but not something the farm manager would use, particularly in a hilly area.
Cars are means of transport the above I believe does that. Or have I got that wrong?

advertised as safer vehicles, yet US statistics show they are the most likely to be involved in accident. Mainly rolling over on corners. Never seen a single gamekeeper use a vehicles that high. Perfect for a roll. Junk.

Almost every Police force used them in the country, & there's plenty of footage on YouTube of them in pursuit situations
There maybe a higher 'CoG' than road-cars (barring the way a 2CV corners), but driven appropriately they can travel at a fair rate of knots on the tarmac

I'd still love a very late 'soft-dash' 300Tdi, manual boxed 'Classic', as it was called by 1994 (when the P38 - the 2nd generation) came out

Drago

Legendary Member
The original RR classic was rather exciting in the bends when pushed hard and a few ended up parked on their roof. Late versions had ARB s that cured it.

I've owned 6 Rangies and managed to never crash one. Superbly capable, horrifically unreliable.

brand

Almost every Police force used them in the country, & there's plenty of footage on YouTube of them in pursuit situations
There maybe a higher 'CoG' than road-cars (barring the way a 2CV corners), but driven appropriately they can travel at a fair rate of knots on the tarmac

I'd still love a very late 'soft-dash' 300Tdi, manual boxed 'Classic', as it was called by 1994 (when the P38 - the 2nd generation) came out
Which country? They most certainly do not use them much in the US. I can't remember ever seeing one. Moreover in pursuit you would be expected to corner fast... roll or slow down not a much cop as pursuit vehicle!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I have a soft spot for older Landrovers. Fantastically capable machines. I often found it amazing that a vehicle that was designed as an agricultural vehicle could be so capable on the road. The newer ones leave me cold especially the fashion victim rangies.(although if I could afford the fuel I'd be tempted by the last of the defenders)
I wonder what Leyland/Rover or whoever they were then, thought the expected life span was.

[QUOTE 3262045, member: 45"]He meant almost every police force in the UK.
US police wouldn't use anything so stable, refined and efficient.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I meant UK, not over the pond

Or such as this, London Fire Brigade, example
(pre 'soft-dash' automatic 'box)
Granted, some of the wrong-side driving wouldn't be allowed now, but it was a case of just getting there quickly
Plus, for the emergency services, a Range Rover has presence, it's a big car

I have a soft spot for older Landrovers. Fantastically capable machines. I often found it amazing that a vehicle that was designed as an agricultural vehicle could be so capable on the road. The newer ones leave me cold especially the fashion victim rangies.(although if I could afford the fuel I'd be tempted by the last of the defenders)
I wonder what Leyland/Rover or whoever they were then, thought the expected life span was.
Me too!
I've had 6, my first being a 2A Light-Weight, last was a Td5 Defender 110 CSW

I like the original 70-95 Rangie (as per this threads originations), the L322 ( the 3rd incarnation, the TDV8 is a wonderful machine)
Can't abide the present model (or any of the Sports) - looks like a Lincoln, or Buick (a bit ironic, but that's who Rover got their famous V8 from!!!)

My last one, with SWMBOs last, but one,car

Defender. S50 RAT. & X88 JLT.JPG

Last edited:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMJfVyneqItGZ4906NFpWGr_RkVc_GD7o1xEdHU1-4bFMSNSqO-w.jpg
I have never quite understood the appeal. People seem to say they are "capable" but as far as I can see they do nothing better than a decent car on the road and lots of things off road (if you changed the tyres) that you really don't need to do. Bit like Clarkson saying how good a Bugatti is because he can do 200 mph in it. Utterly pointless.
I drive a Merc E Class estate. Can anyone tell me what a Range Rover can do better on the road than my car. I can probably give you 10 things my car does better.

Top Bottom