Cheeky blinkin Magpies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I really don't get this classification of wildlife as vermin/not vermin. Seems that "vermin" is used to describe wildlife that impacts on agriculture or livestock. Not their fault, only doing what comes naturally

I would be as upset to see a magpie being shot as I would a swan for example.

FWIW, numbers of magpies being shot by gamekeepers etc has gone up 400% in past 50 years. Is that something we should condone?
He stole and ate my favourite frog. Should be hung, drawn and quartered

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
As a boy, I had a pet Magpie.

I've owned may species of bird over the years - none as clever though

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
"Until the mid-19th century, magpies were very common in Britain and were popular with farmers because they eat harmful insects and rodents. But from then until the First World War, heavy persecution by gamekeepers caused their numbers to plummet.

Since the Second World War, magpie numbers have increased. Their numbers trebled from 1970 to 1990, since when they have become more stable. Urban and suburban magpies increased much faster than rural populations. In towns they are not persecuted, there is more food available, magpies will nest close to people, which protects their nests from crows, and they can breed earlier in the year because towns are warmer than the surrounding countryside

Urban magpies will use artificial nest sites and nest materials, and will take food from bird tables, sometimes storing it in man-made structures such as gutters and eaves

Factors that normally limit magpie populations are lack of nesting territories and high mortality of young birds. The relatively stable population since 1990 suggests that magpies have reached an ecological equilibrium
."

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/magpie/population-changes/

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
We are having trouble with magpies in my garden attacking my tortoise, need to keep an eye on him if he's out which he tends to be all day in the summer I don't particularly want to chicken wire my entire back garden!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
We are having trouble with magpies in my garden attacking my tortoise, need to keep an eye on him if he's out which he tends to be all day in the summer I don't particularly want to chicken wire my entire back garden!

These bird-scaring tethered kites cost a little over a tenner...

image.jpeg

Available from Azamon and similar.

12boy

Guru
Can't speak to your situation but here in the high desert we have lots of crows all year and magpies in the warmer months. They eat carrion in the road but since Corvids ( the crow/raven tribe) are so intelligent, they do not eat fast food thrown on the street. Although ours is fresh from the vendor it's interesting we eat things the connoisseurs of week old road kill will not.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Magpies often tease cats for fun and I've seen them having a go at our cats many a time. Then one morning I heard one of our cats, Trubble, mewling at the bedroom door demanding attention. When I got up, there was a very frightened magpie on the curtain pole in the kitchen with Trubble purring contentedly as if to say "Got the bugger". I caught it and let it go but hopefully it learned a lesson.

slowwww

Veteran
Get a cat ?

Have you seen how big a Magpie is up close?

On one occasion shortly after we first moved to the current house, my cat (when he was much less decrepit than he is now) saw 4 of them on the bird-bath and crashed through the cat-flap in full-attack mode and at maximum closing speed. As he got within a few meters of them the penny started to drop that;

a) there were 4 of them
b) they were large and in possession of very substantial pointy things at the front of their heads, and
c) they had seen him and weren't going anywhere.

After palpably slowing down to little more than a trot hoping to avoid any sort of confrontation whatsoever, I sensed that 1 of the magpies had got bored with the exchange and rather indignantly flew off, prompting the others to follow.

My stupid cat then strutted back into the house, expecting a reception like a returning hero.........and has never been near them since!

Billy Wizz

Über Member
A crows nest appeared at the bottom of our garden about 15 years ago I haven't seen a magpie in the garden since, my garden wrecker is the woodpigeon like a big fat drunk always on the small bird tables and knocking small pots over.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Before I had a cat flap, I used to leave food for the cat in the garden.
The magpies would chase the cat, eat his food.

Funny you should say that

We had a cat (Tibby - a Maine Coon cross) who was forever carrying his food; chunk by chunk; to the top of the coal-shed and depositing it on the roof.

He would then hide in the bush alongside, wait for the crows to land and then pounce on the unsuspecting birds.

Hicky

Guru
We've binned our bird feeder tables due to woodies and crows/maggies and put the feed into lightweight carriers or inside nest boxes so only the smaller birds can get at them....its a token effort and doesn't seem to be having an effect. Pity

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm very dubious, nay, scathing on this labelling of a species as bad "they kill songbirds" and hence "bad". There have always been magpies and songbirds and each has to make a living. Magpies doubtless take chicks of other birds, but songbirds eat worms etc.There is a balance and all seem to do OK, Environmental change is what really hurts species not the ongoing cycle of predator and prey

Pigeons are "bad" because they are sucessfull yet doves are "good" and represent peace.

OK I don't want rats in the house but outdoor rats -live and let live.

We have a cat and she happily hunts birds and rodents as its her nature, and to be fair she eats them mostly, but the garden is full of birds and I have yet to hear of a shortage of rats, however many dead ones she brings in

Back on topic in another life our timid scardey cat maine coon was in the garden growling one day with the other 3 cats looking on from a distance. He proudly munched his way through a whole magpie, bones, feathers, the lot, leaving only a pair of feet. His bigger stronger bolder brother caught nowt as he had the stealth of a herd of hippos.

Top Bottom