Cheeky manoeuvre over potholes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatblokish

Guru
No, not me, but the local council.

On the fillthathole website, I see under the notes section for my local council (BANES), that a definition of a pothole has been described thus:
"A pothole is a sharp edged depression in the carriageway greater than 40mm deep. The severity of a pothole is determined by the risk it poses to road users. This is difficult to judge since all potholes present some risk."

Is this a cynical attempt to limit the number of potholes reported? I sampled a few other councils and none shared this definition. To my mind a pothole is a defect which could reasonably be anticipated to cause injury, irrespective of its depth.

Further, it could in some circumstances be counter productive by BANES to try to limit the number of potholes reported as small potholes grow into big ones, with repair costs increasing with the size of the hole.

then again...

classic33

Leg End Member
Report them as Surface Defects hazardous to road users.

My local council came out to examine a road surface that had been lifted clear by sheer weight of water.
Despite the suface moving as you walked over it they reported "No problems found"!

djb1971

Legendary Member
Just keep pestering. Ring to complain too.

I kept reporting a section of road that was lethal. Most were minor holes with a few craters thrown in for good measure. It took 6 months but they closed the road recently and resurfaced it, it caused chaos:giggle:

I think the fact that I threatened to claim for damages and injury swung it. Any local will know it was the road from Betley to Wychwood Park heading to the roundabout. It's an unlit high speed road, I use at night, swinging 5ft out to avoid holes was a little tricky at times!

Top Bottom