Cheery Cockneys! Give me the Oyster gen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

I'm aware that my regular bank contactless card can be used in place of buying tickets on TFL. I've only just worked out that Oyster land extends down to Gatwick, which is down my way. The Oyster fare thing seems to suggest that an off peak single from Horley to Victoria is £6.60. The national rail website says £9.10. I'd probably pay for the national rail ticket with my contactless card anyway, so it seems sense just to tapin tap out. It also seems I can add my Network Card to the deal, giving me an off peak single of £4.35, compared to £6.00.

The Oyster website also suggests using contactless is cheaper than getting a 1 day travel card.

Am I missing the blindingly obvious?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do you qualify for a Senior Citizen railcard yet?

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm aware that my regular bank contactless card can be used in place of buying tickets on TFL. I've only just worked out that Oyster land extends down to Gatwick, which is down my way. The Oyster fare thing seems to suggest that an off peak single from Horley to Victoria is £6.60. The national rail website says £9.10. I'd probably pay for the national rail ticket with my contactless card anyway, so it seems sense just to tapin tap out. It also seems I can add my Network Card to the deal, giving me an off peak single of £4.35, compared to £6.00.

The Oyster website also suggests using contactless is cheaper than getting a 1 day travel card.

Am I missing the blindingly obvious?
Network card only gives discounts on lower fares at weekend, otherwise the minimum off peak with the card on Mon-Fri is £13 or thereabouts. (i.e. there's bugger all point using it from Horley if you can get for £6.60 or indeed £9.10)

OP
OP
Tim Hall

Tim Hall

Network card only gives discounts on lower fares at weekend, otherwise the minimum off peak with the card on Mon-Fri is £13 or thereabouts. (i.e. there's bugger all point using it from Horley if you can get for £6.60 or indeed £9.10)
But if I combine the Network Card with Oyster that comes down to £4.35. That's over two quid off. Or a pint of beer in the 'spoons near the station. However, as the wise old elf says, it looks like I need a proper Oyster card to get Network Card discount as well. I already have the Network card.

vickster

Legendary Member
But if I combine the Network Card with Oyster that comes down to £4.35. That's over two quid off. Or a pint of beer in the 'spoons near the station. However, as the wise old elf says, it looks like I need a proper Oyster card to get Network Card discount as well. I already have the Network card.
Yes but only at the weekend (or bank hols). You didn’t say what day you’re travelling
Bear in mind southern don’t seem to bother with many trains on Sunday if any (rail replacement common)

OP
OP
Tim Hall

Tim Hall

Yes but only at the weekend (or bank hols). You didn’t say what day you’re travelling
Bear in mind southern don’t seem to bother with many trains on Sunday if any (rail replacement common)
Good point, well made. I've got my beady eye on fares for this weekend, in case I get away for the FNRTTC London jaunt, but am also musing about other weekend travel.

Top Bottom