Cheesed off with Topeak and Evans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HeyWayne

A mild cheddar though - nothing strong.

Having put a spare inner tube into my saddle bag and realised it's woefully small for the London to Brighton and the bits I'll 'need' to take along, I thought I'd venture over to Evans in Milton Keynes and have a look at saddle bags in the flesh (so difficult to gauge how big they are online iznit?).

I opted for this one: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/aero-wedge-with-straps-ec008139

I'm chessed off with Evans as I paid £16.99 in store - the price online as you can see is £13.99.

I bought it home, took my old one off and went to strap the Topeak one on. Looped the strap round the seatpost and then through the 'buckle'. Pulled it tight (but not 'tight' tight) and the stitching came away and the loop pf fabric just came off.

Rubbish.

Any recommendations for a good saddle bag?

p.s. - a saddle bag should suffice shouldn't it?

e-rider

crappy member
Topeak products are usually pretty good quality - I think you were very unlucky. As for Evans, well it's a bit cheeky, but many companies do 'online offer only' deals.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Take it back, get your money back then order another one online. You were unlucky. CRC have them for 13.99 too (large). I have just bought one and it is fine, have used it for about a week, put it on and off a number of times - if anything it is almost too big, and I have had to attach it to strap fixed across the saddle rails rather than directly to the rails themselves. I have tools, two spare tubes, tyre levers, tube repair kit, pump, cleat covers, coil lock, in mine and there is still room for more - what is in it would probably fit in a medium, which I am thinking of getting as well for summer use, keeping the larger one for the winter as it would probably also hold a well folded thin waterproof.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've got the quick release version in Medium. Just right for 2 tubes, PRK, levers, Alien multitool, nitrile gloves, little bag of nuts/bolts/chainlinks. Had to buy the F22 extended bracket to fit it to the Brooks, but sizewise it's just right for me.
Excellent cust service from UK distributor (Extra UK) when I had a clip break (my fault), new bit in post by return.

davidg

Evans price match to anything that moves or even doesnt move....go back with a print out of a webpage or shop that is cheaper and they will give you the difference even after for a week I think...

also if it has broken first time, they have to replace it....Evans are normally okay at that type of thing...if not insist it is sent back to top peak

Norm

I'd recommend the Topeak expanding wedges. I have a large one and a medium aero wedge, both use the same bracket. It's useful having the extra space for longer trips, the small one is just enough to take the PRK, phone, keys and multitool, the larger one takes tubes, camera etc.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
porkypete said:
Had to buy the F22 extended bracket to fit it to the Brooks,
- seems I invented my own version of the F22 for the strap on version by fixing an old toe-clip strap across the rails of my saddle to take the bag straps - I am using a Velo Pro saddle - a poor mans SLR :sad:

edit - just seen Norm's post - I prefer the Aero Wedge - IMO looks less clunky on a road bike, also prefer the look of the strap on bag tight up against the saddle, rather than suspended on a plastic pylon!

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Both HaloJ and I have the Topeak aero wedge. Had them since October and have had no problems whatsover. We've also got the Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP. Very pleased with the Topeak bag range.

You've just been unlucky with your purchase, so take it back and get an exchange. Whilst you're at it, ask them to refund the difference to price match their own website.

Sightly OT, but always have an idea and insist on the web prices.

There are also shortcuts.

I love PCWorld for this.....

Ask for the item at Web Price - they will refuse, so ask to see manager
They will also refuse.
Take out phone and phone the order line and ask for "Collect at Store"
Now give order number to Manager and ask for item....... which they now have to sell you at the web price as it is a "web order"!

Satisfying!

Give order number to the

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Topeak Aero-wedge for me too. Medium I think. Good piece of kit.

Regarding L2B, you don't need to much kit to be honest, there are plenty of food stops (every few miles) and several service areas too (used to be Evans). In addition, there's 30,000 other cyclists for assistance!

ChrisKH

Guru
I also find the wedges a bit small. Went for the Altura Vision saddlebag (were selling it cheap for £16 approx. somewhere) for longer rides. I can get a full tool set, three tubes, bits and bobs, extra bars and gels and a set of arm and leg warmers and a small fold up rain jacket. I don't use it all the time but for those longer trips where the weather is uncertain and you need a bit of extra room it's ideal.

Ste T.

Guru
Sorry to hear of your experience with Evans/Topeak. I know this isn't very comforting for you, but two weeks ago I got 4 expandable wedge bags for myself ,wife and two daughters bikes, for £20 at Aldi. Each one came with a multitool, puncture repair kit and a couple of tyre levers. Good quality too, none of the straps come off!

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

Just called the Evans store, and as I can't get back to the store easily they suggested calling the online store.

I did.

Printed off the returns note and they'll refund me the difference and replace the
broken one.

:biggrin:

Well done Evans.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
HeyWayne said:
A mild cheddar though - nothing strong.

Having put a spare inner tube into my saddle bag and realised it's woefully small for the London to Brighton and the bits I'll 'need' to take along, I thought I'd venture over to Evans in Milton Keynes and have a look at saddle bags in the flesh (so difficult to gauge how big they are online iznit?).

I opted for this one: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/aero-wedge-with-straps-ec008139

I'm chessed off with Evans as I paid £16.99 in store - the price online as you can see is £13.99.

I bought it home, took my old one off and went to strap the Topeak one on. Looped the strap round the seatpost and then through the 'buckle'. Pulled it tight (but not 'tight' tight) and the stitching came away and the loop pf fabric just came off.

Rubbish.

Any recommendations for a good saddle bag?

p.s. - a saddle bag should suffice shouldn't it?

I do not know if you are aware of this but evans do a price match and it is retro-active for 10-14 days? Go back in, ask for it to be replaced and pricematched.

Evans are pretty good in this department in my experience.

edit: you posted as I was typing :biggrin:

Top Bottom