England : Essex Chelmsford Cycling Clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harrison_888

Regular
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone is part of/can recommend a cycling club in or around Chelmsford. I live in the heart of the city but happy to mosey to any of the neighbouring areas.

I've tried to contact CCC (Chelmer Cycling Club) but they don't appear to be manning their emails. There is also Chelmsford CTC who ride at 09.15 on a Sunday but from their website photo they appear to all be in their seventies (not that this makes any difference and I have in fact contacted them too - I imagine most of them will likely leave me for dust anyway).

Failing any formal cycling club, if anyone fancies a ride on Saturday or Sunday mornings in and around Chelmsford do get in touch. My previous cycling partner selfishly moved to be nearer his new job in Australia which has made meeting up...challenging.

All the best,
H

aferris2

Guru
There are several other clubs/groups in the area that I know of. Try searching for Athlon, Danbury, or Billericay. There's also a club in Maldon. I know Billericay do a range of weekday and weekend rides. The Athlon guys seem to be very keen as long as you are good for a 20+mph average. Don't know anything about Danbury or Maldon.

OP
OP
harrison_888

harrison_888

Regular
There are several other clubs/groups in the area that I know of. Try searching for Athlon, Danbury, or Billericay. There's also a club in Maldon. I know Billericay do a range of weekday and weekend rides. The Athlon guys seem to be very keen as long as you are good for a 20+mph average. Don't know anything about Danbury or Maldon.
Thanks I’ll check those out.
H

Crankarm

Guru
I have seen a few groups riding around the Chelmsford area. Can't say what club if any they belonged to. However what I would say, is riding in Essex is flippin' dangerous as I found out once and pleased to say I survived, but only just. Essix has it's own deadly sub-species of maniacs in cars, vans and trucks. Be careful.

I have seen a few groups riding around the Chelmsford area. Can't say what club if any they belonged to. However what I would say, is riding in Essex is flippin' dangerous as I found out once and pleased to say I survived, but only just. Essix has it's own deadly sub-species of maniacs in cars, vans and trucks. Be careful.
I only cycled circa 500 miles there when I had a temporary job but on the whole I would say the Essex drivers around Chelmsford and Maldon are politer than anything here. Between Colchester and Clacton I did find them maniacs though, particularly as you get closer to the beach. My theory is they're concentrating too much on that beach and getting there before the sun disappears and forget about their surroundings/ other road users. :okay:

Last edited:

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Hi - i had a similar discussion going on another thread, i am from Leigh on Sea and looking for a club. Chelmsford isnt that far away so would be keen if you find somewhere that i may also tag along - if you dont mind of course.

Hi - i had a similar discussion going on another thread, i am from Leigh on Sea and looking for a club. Chelmsford isnt that far away so would be keen if you find somewhere that i may also tag along - if you dont mind of course.

There's a cycle club in Basildon, I believe.

cm2mackem

Über Member

Did you try the Yellow Jersey shop rides in Billericay, they do Saturday mornings and Thursday evening, they have a strava group

OP
OP
harrison_888

harrison_888

Regular
I've ridden the roads around Chelmsford for about 2 years now and I can only call it as I see it - the other road users have been excellent. I grew up in North West London and have been shoved off my bike, screamed at and run into so riding around Chelmsford has been a welcoming experience.

OP
OP
harrison_888

harrison_888

Regular
Always happy for a tag along.

I've now signed up with CCC (Chelmer Cycle Club). I emailed their organiser using the link below and although it took a while for a reply he seemed very welcoming. They ride at 9am on Sundays and have an assortment of rides and paces to match your ability.
http://www.bc-clubs.co.uk/chelmercc/index.php/about/how-to-join/
Hope to see you there.

Top Bottom