Chelsea Flower show...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
...those gardens aren't gardens.
You could say they're art or living sculpture but they ain't gardens.
Controversial, I know! :smile:

Some of the gardens I see in England are full of shite plastic furniture, kids toys all over the place, those super 'trendy' trampolines, a couple of car wrecks and loads of spares, and the only bit of green to be seen are weeds. Oh, and not forgetting the dog shite (assuming it's from a dog, that is) plastered around the place.

That's what I call 'gardens.' :smile:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I love looking into people's gardens when I am on a train.
The amount of crap decking, over grown lawns and fallen down sheds you see is amazing. Plus the half finished shoddy conservatories.
Now that's a proper English garden.

D

Deleted member 1258

I thought that the bluebell was protected and it is illegal to dig them up.

Depends which bluebell we are talking about, the english one is protected I believe, but there's a foreign one about that isn't protected.

D

Deleted member 1258

We went to the Chelsea flower show a few years ago and had an excellent day out, most of the gardens on show are beyond the capability of most normal gardeners, but they can be a good source of inspiration and idea's.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We went to the Chelsea flower show a few years ago and had an excellent day out, most of the gardens on show are beyond the capability of most normal gardeners, but they can be a good source of inspiration and idea's.
As a piece of visual entertainment, they are great, but they provide less and less inspiration to Joe Public these days IMO. They may provide it to civic gardens.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
They are not meant to be gardens, per se. Most of them would not stand a winter. They are designed to give inspiration and ideas. They do a good job of that.

Well, that's the whole point. As has been pointed out, by many more expert than me, they don't provide inspiration any more. Many are giant sculptures costing hundreds of thousands of pounds.

the overall show garden winner was more about sculpture than plants. I didn't think it looked very good, but apparently that doesn't matter.

Exactly.

Well, that's the whole point. As has been pointed out, by many more expert than me, they don't provide inspiration any more. Many are giant sculptures costing hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Exactly.
Gertrude Jekyll was quick to Hyde when Ground Force Dimmock Rodin to town...The hills became rills in the sweep of a JCB, and pretending the garden was a room became the vogue...Bill Sowerbutts and John Cushnie would be turning in their allotments...nay, double-digging.
I did a stand there in the early 80s and even then it was a pose...now it just seems adipose.

_74257992_gardeneersworld.jpg

“Nothing much wrong with that, is there Arthur?”

Top Bottom