Chelsea Flower show...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The eejits I used to work for go every year.
As a bit of willy waving he bought a fountain from one of the show gardens one year. It HAD to be installed by his wife's birthday in July. It was a rush job, and it was installed wonky.
The fountain was a large lead agave, water came from the end of the leaves and dropped into a hexagonal pool 6" wide... one breath of wind and it ran dry then the pump burned out!

Surrounding all this were about 20 box balls and pillars and 8 pleached hornbeam, all in a raised space 1' x3'. It was difficult to keep them watered and fed.

£50,000. That was about 10 years ago.

I've been a couple of times, but the above story sums it up for me.

Mrs M

Guru
Some inspiring galrdens in past years but not this year :sad:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There are some plant-led exhibits - Mrs W's mother rang up excitedly saying that one of her plant societies had won a silver gilt award and was on the telly, and she thought she could see the iris she'd named after me (see left) in the display. It turns it was a different, but similar one - but one of her other irises definitely was in the display.

There are some plant-led exhibits - Mrs W's mother rang up excitedly saying that one of her plant societies had won a silver gilt award and was on the telly, and she thought she could see the iris she'd named after me (see left) in the display. It turns it was a different, but similar one - but one of her other irises definitely was in the display.
If you're called Iris, you should sing a song about it - a bit like Johnny Cash did.

Well my daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to Ma in Law and me
Just this old Grobag and an empty bottle of Tomorite
Now, I don't blame him 'cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Iris"

(Best played with a 'tuba' accompaniment)

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I thought that the bluebell was protected and it is illegal to dig them up.

A lot of those plants they have you cant get at garden centres round here, its all right basic stuff. Whilst we are on about gardens, does anyone on here know how to get rid of bluebells? I've tried digging them up for 2 years now but they still come up. I know the bulbs send out runners and they can go deep.
If they are common bluebells (English) you can dig up from your garden and as long as you don't sell them on, there's no offence. I'm afraid the only way to get rid is to keep digging up, they'll grow from the smallest bulb. I'd plant some shrubs and then hoe off the bulbs as they emerge, this will help the shrub and the bulbs will be gradually weakened.

Top Bottom