Chernobyl exhibition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Earlier in the year, I visited the Chernobyl reactor site, the ghost-town of Pripyiat and the Children's Cancer Hospital in Minsk to take photos for the Chernobyl Children's Project.

I'm holding a small exhibition of photos from the trip next month, and CycleChatters are welcome to come along to the private view:

chernobyl-invitation-web.jpg

If you plan to come, please just post a reply so I have an idea of likely numbers - thanks!

Ben

Mr Pig

Great think to do, if I was closer I'd love to come.

I was reading about the disaster just last night, it's a heart-wrenching story. I'm amazed that the area is safe to visit so soon after the incident.

marooncat

I would love to come but just to far away for me.

We went to Chernobyl about 2 years ago when Scotland played in Kiev and it is one of those days that will stay with me for the rest of my life and words can not describe it. Someone asked me the evening of the trip had I enjoyed it - how do you answer that question??

Niall Estick

Would love to come but too far I'm afraid. Best of luck with the show.

Are there any images we can access via the internet?

red_tom

I started reading this and thought. 'I met a really interesting guy a few months ago who had visited Chernobyl'. Then I realised it was you xx( :wacko:.

If I can get out from work in time I'll definitely be there.

I'm up for this Ben, I went there last year and it was a really interesting experience. I have a photo which I shot from the Cultural Centre roof looking back across to the power station which is on my computer at work as a backdrop, to the bemusement of the ISO auditors.

Going into the school, they had the cloakrooms with all the numbered pegs just like at my former school... makes you wonder what all those kids, who are now twentysomethings, are doing now.

Niall Estick said:
S'okay, found it Ben. Google is my friend.

Were the photos taken by a motorcyclist years back genuine?

They were genuine photographs, but some of the narrative around how she got in there on her motorbike, and has special access, wasn't true - she went with an organised group.

She has done a fascinating reportage on the Serpent's Wall to the west of Kiev, a series of ancient and modern fortifications. It can be found here:

http://www.theserpentswall.com/

(Sorry to hijack OP, Ben)

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Mr Pig said:
I'm amazed that the area is safe to visit so soon after the incident.
It is safe to visit for a day, provided you listen to the guide and are sensible (careful what you touch, no eating, etc).

The danger comes from longer-term exposure, and especially from eating food grown in the soil in the region. The groundwater is still highly contaminated, and as a result the thyroid cancer rate is still 1000 times higher than normal across a fairly wide area of the Ukraine and Belarus outside of the Exclusion Zone.

Ben

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

marooncat said:
Someone asked me the evening of the trip had I enjoyed it - how do you answer that question??
Yes, there isn't really an answer to that one. 'I'm glad I went' was my answer.

Ben

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Twenty Inch said:
They were genuine photographs, but some of the narrative around how she got in there on her motorbike, and has special access, wasn't true - she went with an organised group.
Yes, bike shots taken outside the Zone (there are a lot of abandoned villages further out), Prypiat shots taken on a standard tour. The guide remembers her as she insisted on taking her bike helmet with her, obviously done so she could place the helmet into shot to create the illusion that she was there with her bike.

Ben

Top Bottom