Chesty coughs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suffered a chesty cough that I couldn't kick. My wife got some pine cone jam, a traditional remedy from Eastern Europe. It seemed to have worked well.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I assume it’s available in Polish shops? What do you do with it - rub it on your chest? Eat it? Offer it up to the gods and hope you’ll be freed of the chesty chastisement?

We have a chesty cough going around our house at the moment - my wife and I have shaken it off but our two year old is suffering more than we did and for longer!

You eat a spoonful every day. Pine trees are a source of many useful chemicals such as resin, tar and turpentine. Not sure what you find in the young green cones but it seems to work.

Adam4868

Guru
I've had mine for nearly 3 weeks,felt rotten aswell.Been 2half weeks no cycling ! It's a annoying cough that once started can't stop.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've had mine for nearly 3 weeks,felt rotten aswell.Been 2half weeks no cycling ! It's a annoying cough that once started can't stop.
I assume that you have a runny nose and/or are coughing up crud? If so, then yes, it sounds like a nasty cold or other chest infection.

I had a severe cough that lasted about a month and I thought it was due to a cold or chest infection. I coughed so long and hard that I pulled a muscle in my back, or cracked a rib - my GP didn't identify which. The fact that my nose and lungs had been clear the whole time should have alerted him to the fact that it was actually due to something much more sinister, a pulmonary embolism that nearly killed me. 'Snotless colds' are now a huge red flag for me!

After that horrific experience, I pay a lot more attention to chest problems... I had 2 heavy colds earlier this year (both lasting about 3 weeks), but I was actually relieved when it became obvious that they were 'just' colds. Nevertheless, an annoying cause of lost cycling time.

Adam4868

Guru
I assume that you have a runny nose and/or are coughing up crud? If so, then yes, it sounds like a nasty cold or other chest infection.

I had a severe cough that lasted about a month and I thought it was due to a cold or chest infection. I coughed so long and hard that I pulled a muscle in my back, or cracked a rib - my GP didn't identify which. The fact that my nose and lungs had been clear the whole time should have alerted him to the fact that it was actually due to something much more sinister, a pulmonary embolism that nearly killed me. 'Snotless colds' are now a huge red flag for me!

After that horrific experience, I pay a lot more attention to chest problems... I had 2 heavy colds earlier this year (both lasting about 3 weeks), but I was actually relieved when it became obvious that they were 'just' colds. Nevertheless, an annoying cause of lost cycling time.
Allright Colin,no it's not a cold mate,no runny nose ect.Been to docs a week ago under orders.Mrs knew I was rough by not going.on bike on sunny day ! Anyway checked me out and said it was more a virus and cough.Sit or lie it out !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Allright Colin,no it's not a cold mate,no runny nose ect.Been to docs a week ago under orders.Mrs knew I was rough by not going.on bike on sunny day ! Anyway checked me out and said it was more a virus and cough.Sit or lie it out !
That's what mine said... Stay vigilant! :okay:

Get up and walk about every hour or so just to get the blood moving in your legs, and watch out for any swelling, discomfort /pain, etc.

They were so worried about the risk of clotting from extended bed rest when I spent my 9 days in hospital that I wasn't the only patient put on anticoagulant drugs - everybody in the ward got a daily shot of heparin!

Adam4868

Guru
That's what mine said... Stay vigilant! :okay:

Get up and walk about every hour or so just to get the blood moving in your legs, and watch out for any swelling, discomfort /pain, etc.

They were so worried about the risk of clotting from extended bed rest when I spent my 9 days in hospital that I wasn't the only patient put on anticoagulant drugs - everybody in the ward got a daily shot of heparin!
Went out on my bike early this morning,despite freezing my knackers off and coughing for most of the 23 miles I made it !
Yours was scary,mine is probally me being a bit of a wuss with a cough !
I've pushed my luck with Mrs Adam...asked her to bring me another coffee last night and it was met with "get off yet arse yourself,there's nowt up with ya ! "
Take care Col..Adam

gbb

Legendary Member
I'd put it out there that a persistent, long running cough with other symptoms can be indicative of something considerably more serious.
I had one that went on for months, even a visit to the docs failed to pick up on .....TB. The other sympton overlooked was temperature, I was sweating buckets at night and suffering incredible lethargy at times. The temperatures were a result of fighting infection I guess.
It's got to be rare tbf, but a persistent cough should be taken seriously.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Went out on my bike early this morning,despite freezing my knackers off and coughing for most of the 23 miles I made it

I know two people who ruined their cycling longterm by riding with a cough/chest infection like this. Neither has been able to breathe properly when on the bike since doing this. You should wait till the infection has cleared.

I also agree with @gbb a long term cough warrants proper investigation for some serious illnesses. The posters can be seen all over my GP's waiting room.

postman

Legendary Member
Another one with a horrible cough.Nine days now,thick gooey crap coming up.Sweats during the night and a bunged up knose.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I reach for this stuff.....

Attachments

• benylin_chesty_coughs_original_300ml-2.png
    benylin_chesty_coughs_original_300ml-2.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 5

PaulB

Legendary Member
This advice is too late for anyone who already has the chesty cough but one invaluable thing I have with me all year round is the Vicks First Defence nasal spray. This product has stopped no end of potential illnesses in their tracks for me. If you can catch it in time - as soon as you feel the first symptoms like a tickle in your throat - then it's a real blessing. There've been numerous times I was delegating work to others as I was certain the tickles or hoarseness I was feeling were precursors to a bad cold/chest infection (of which I am particularly susceptible due to my running/cycling activities) but a desperate spray of the Vicks First Defence has eradicated all symptoms for which I have always been very grateful.

It has to be said that it's not 100% effective in every case - I was too late with it this time last year and had one of those 100 day coughs - but everyone should add it to their medicine cabinets.

I have zero financial interest in Vicks or its owners - whoever they may be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom