Chew Valley, Blagdon area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Going to be staying for a few days in this area in mid-September. Looking for recommendations for good coffee stops where cyclists are welcome

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
There are a couple of really nice cafes at the bottom of Cheddar Gorge.
Blagdon hill is a nice climb if you are on road, I believe there is a cider factory, Thatchers I think around there that you can ride to, they used to have a factory shop if you wanted to pick up some recovery drinks for later...

OP
OP
iluvmybike

iluvmybike

Über Member
There are a couple of really nice cafes at the bottom of Cheddar Gorge.
Blagdon hill is a nice climb if you are on road, I believe there is a cider factory, Thatchers I think around there that you can ride to, they used to have a factory shop if you wanted to pick up some recovery drinks for later...
Thanks. Cheddar Gorge is one of the rides we are planning along with Burrington Combe. My hubby knows about the Thatchers Cider factory as he was raised around the Blagdon area (hence the visit to his old stomping ground) and remembers cycling up Blagdon Hill on his single speed as a lad - needs more gears these days!

bridgy

Legendary Member
If you make it over to the Somerset levels, Sweets Tearooms near Wedmore is very cyclist friendly (several cycling events start there) and the coffee and cakes are fantastic. Another favourite is the New Castle cafe overlooking Sand Bay near Weston Super Mare if you ride towards the coast.

They have beautifully renovated a pub next to the Thatchers Cider factory, called the Railway Inn, which is fantastic - cyclist friendly because it's only just off the Strawberry line cycle path so they gets lots of cyclists stopping there

shnjmsn

Über Member
Salt & Malt at Chew Valley Lake is nice, worth a visit for coffee or brekkie ! Sweets is good too as Bridgy says, all takeaway at the moment still but plenty of seating outside ! If it's closed then Double Gate tea room in Godney.........

Worth a spin up over the lovely Harptree Hill over the tops and down into Wells for a good choice of eateries and coffee places.

For pubs try the Railway in Sandford as above if you're doing the Strawberry line, or The Swan at Wedmore.........

Top Bottom