Chick Corea RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I saw him not all that long ago at the Barbican. Brilliant musician.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Saw this last night ;-(
Had an opportunity to see him at the Barbican 2 years ago, somehow didn't realise it was his 'Trio' with Christian McBride and Brian Blade (I'm not keen on all Chick Corea's stuff), we bought the concert albums and they're brill... Too late now sadly to see them live.
A great musician and hugely influential.

An entry level piece for non Jazz/Fusion fans....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJ1irkCyew

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The great joy of jazz is that so many of the hugely talented musicians are able to swap around and put their own stamp on stuff. It works a lot of the time but sometimes not.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Oh Fabbers, check out Brand X. Not the musicians you would normally associate with the genre. Fabulous stuff.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
What a musician!

His key Blue Note set, "Now he sings, now he sobs", was re-released in the Tone Poet series last year (or maybe 2019). Well worth anyone's time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVeGH6JC-eE&list=RDeVeGH6JC-eE&start_radio=1

Chromatic

Legendary Member
The gentleman I refer to in the post quoted below was a Chick Corea fan, one of the albums we listened to that day was this:

I was going to post this here a while ago but never did, now @Grant Fondo has brought the thread back I think I will. It's not a tale about hi-if BS but whilst not quite the opposite it's about a good hi-if shop experience.

Three years ago my wife and I went to Edinburgh for her to go to the Edinburgh Yarn Festival and one of the days I had to myself I decided to find a couple of hi-if shops to browse in. I found a couple on the interweb and set off to the first. I was expecting a high street type shop but what I found wasn't, it was a fairly up-market place a bit out of the centre almost in a residential area (they had a pair of ( I think used, maybe ex demo) speakers for sale in there priced at £27000 and that was half the rrp).
Anyway I walked in for a look and got talking to the man in there, he wasn't the owner but just an old guy who helped out for the love of it. I came clean saying I was only browsing and not looking to buy but we got talking and after I noticed a valve amp they had on the go I said that I had long hankered after a valve amp. Even knowing I wasn't going to spend any money that day he made me a cup of tea, invited me to sit down to listen to a few records and generally chat about music, it was a good experience.

The amp I saw was this:
View attachment 512654

and a few months later I contacted them and bought one. I drove up to fetch it, had a pleasant night in a nice hotel near Peebles before picking it up and driving back home.
I am very pleased with it.

Top Bottom