Chilblains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Yesterday I went to the docs to check up my blood pressure and I mentioned some problems I had with my toes - the tips looked bruised, itched like feck and were sore to the touch. I thought it was athletes' foot, but It turns out that plenty of winter riding (more wet than cold conditions) plus crap circulation have given me some chilblains. The doc, a cyclist himself, has recommended better overshoes, although not on prescription unfortunately.

Anyone else had this?

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Used to get them in the winter when the snow landed, as I had an insatiable appetite for throwing myself down hills on a sledge. I think it's usually caused by sudden contrasts in temperature, because I used to hug radiators as soon as I got in as well. Itching won't help but cream might, as might a dose of antihistamines. Like the doc said, just keep as warm & dry as possible. I use a plastic carrier bag sandwiched between 2 pairs of socks, but that's because I'm a cheapskate :biggrin:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welcome to my world, my latest trick is toe covers under overshoes which keeps them nice and toasty , i also have some winter boots but they are a bit tight unless i wear thin socks .
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRF2kDji-10WFoTtn9OX5k9Kv3_REjH_2DfIr_nAJCOlk8_O38s.jpg

I also get it in my hands which can swell up and hurt for a long time afterwards if im not careful , have a read of this ..
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/raynauds-phenomenon

gbb

Legendary Member
Silver foil between socks works a treat. I really suffer with my circulation!
Thats Interesting..and obvious really.
While cycling isnt a big part of my life at the moment, I spent years all round commuting and winter always caused me severe chillblains...I still suffer a little now.
Multi layered socks, overshoes etc never helped much on rides of over 30 minutes. I brought some Diadora Chili boots which help...but tbf, ive not really tested them over some decent mileage. Good on short runs though. If you do go for boots, certainly the Diadora seem undersized. I'm usually a size 43, I had to get 47 boots to accomodate decent thickness socks.
Also consider your leg protection. If the leg surface is chilled, it may restrict good blood flow to the extremities.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That's interesting. Over Xmas one little toe became itchy as feck but there was no sign of athlete's foot or similar. I'd done a couple of long, cold rides. Perhaps it was a chilblain? Anyway, it's back to normal now. Maybe I need to keep my tootsies a bit warmer

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks for all the suggestions. Have likes. On the whole I'm reasonably good at dressing for the conditions (and with such style :whistle:) but I think I left my existing overshoes off a few times because they were a bit too small and faff to get on. I've just bought some larger cheapo ones from decathlon that will do me for the remainder of the year, but I might see if there are any winter shoes being flogged in the spring.
We used to rub onions on them. Don't know that it did much good, but I haven't been bothered by them for years.
:eek:

Crankarm

Guru
Thanks for all the suggestions. Have likes. On the whole I'm reasonably good at dressing for the conditions (and with such style :whistle:) but I think I left my existing overshoes off a few times because they were a bit too small and faff to get on. I've just bought some larger cheapo ones from decathlon that will do me for the remainder of the year, but I might see if there are any winter shoes being flogged in the spring.

:eek:

Just in time for summer………… You might need them!

Top Bottom