Childhood ambitions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfgurl

Mr Surf wanted to join the RAF. He got through the application procedure and to the interview. Things were going well until they asked him "Have you ever been a member of CND?"
Personally I don't remember having any ambitions.

Interesting that surfgurl. People at work assume I am ambitious, but I'm really not. I never wanted to be an academic and it's something i tolerate because it pays the bills. In fact in many ways I became something that I always hated because I was a very hands on, practical person when I was younger. I care about the issues I research, but I'm not passionate about it and I certainly don't 'love' it as some of my colleagues do. I keep telling my bosses that I don't want promotion at all costs, don't want leadership positions etc. They find it hard to believe, but my signature says it all...

ChrisKH

Guru
I wasn't particularly ambitious as a child. Had very low self-esteem. Really wanted to be a policeman or go into the armed forces but congenital deafness meant I wouldn't pass selection. So I joined Al Queda instead. I asked my father for some advice and he said 'go for the money'. I though he said 'go count the money'. So that's what I'm doing.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I wanted to be an astronaut, still do. I also wanted to be a 'mad scientist' and inventor, or an architect and be artistic.

I am now studying environmental architecture, I invent things, make things and create very artistic furniture and I act.

As for the astronaut bit, if I was offered a one way trip in a deep space probe to do a planetary tour for the rest of my life, recording and monitoring the latest discoveries in the solar system before heading out into the Oort cloud I would take it, no questions and no regrets.

Disgruntled Goat said:
I wanted to be King.

It was explained to me why I could never become King.

I have been a republican ever since.

:biggrin:

Flying_Monkey said:
Same here! (except I have 20/20 vision). I am small, so they wanted me to fly front-line combat jets... but then I became a pacifist which put a bit of an obstacle in that path...

But don't the military just another humanitarian organisation these days? That's what the Army adverts tell me anyway. You don't need a gun, you just have to take your sunglasses off.

gavintc

Guru
When I was completing my schooling, I knew what I did not want; boring office or more study at uni. So, completely against my father's wishes I walked into the recruiting office, signed up and off I went. My dad was furious. But, it was the best decision I made. I grew up quickly, saw the world and satisfied my wanderlust. It took him about 5 years to forgive me.

PrettyboyTim

I wanted to be a Mad Scientist.

I ended up being a Games Programmer.

I did for a while want to do special effects and props for movies, and in my previous job I worked in the R&D department of a visual effects company. I prefer games though.

Willow

I wanted to do anything that meant I didn't have to go to school! In the end decided to join police cadets but my dad refused to sign the form and suggested I went to work in a bank - which I did and ended up in senior management in the city but not very life inspiring.

In childhood I would love to have been a cathedral chorister but they didn't take girls then. Now, I would like time to play tennis and golf and give up the day job. When the boys are a bit older and can be left to their own devices I can spend less time on here and more time playing some sport or maybe even cycling.

I should dream more and find some better inspiration.

Blue

Legendary Member
I wanted to teach geography.

When my own full-time education ended I started a career in business as the salary was good. After many twists and turns I ended up taking my teaching cert., in my mid 40's and spent the years up to retirement teaching Business Studies and Law.

I achieved my ambition to teach and enjoyed every single second of the time spent working with my students. Indeed, I still take evening classes over the winters and find that this continues the enjoyment and enables me to buy bikes and cycling gear - perfect. :tongue:

Top Bottom