Childhood games

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not quite a game, but something else I used to do was 'whittling'. I still have an original hewn from 2 x 2 prepared, with my Dad's penknife. This needs a picture...
So I have covered guns and knives - what next?
Ah explosives. I tried and tried to make Sodium chlorate and sugar confections...I managed to sear through the lids of Gold Block tobacco tins with the mixtures, but never made it to a full-on explosion.

ChrisKH

Guru

Not quite a game, but something else I used to do was 'whittling'. I still have an original hewn from 2 x 2 prepared, with my Dad's penknife. This needs a picture...
Ah explosives. I tried and tried to make Sodium chlorate and sugar confections...I managed to sear through the lids of Gold Block tobacco tins with the mixtures, but never made it to a full-on explosion.

Reminds me of weedkiller and sugar explosive we used to make; knock a hole in the bottom of a spray can, fill it up insert a paper straw filled with the same mix for a fuse and hey presto! Instant Grenades to be used on rats at the local dump.

Christ, we were stupid. :blush:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

My brother and I managed to get a chemisty set to explode. I've no idea what we mixed up, just bunged a load of stuff together and put some heat to it.

You're remembering a lot of detail here teef, for someone who can't remember what they went upstairs for you're doing quite well...

:smile:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Reminds me of weedkiller and sugar explosive we used to make; knock a hole in the bottom of a spray can, fill it up insert a paper straw filled with the same mix for a fuse and hey presto! Instant Grenades to be used on rats at the local dump.

Christ, we were stupid. :blush:

Not fair! By the time I went to school they had started putting fire retardant in fertilizer.

postman

Legendary Member
Kick out ball .Which one person was 'in' the ball was kicked away from them .We all hid .The ball was brought back to the spot .Then the person had to find the hiders .Shouting out name and where they were .He or she then tagged the ball .This went on till all were found .Or while looking someone came out of hiding and kicked the ball away .And we all hid again .

Hot rice, tennis ball held by one person and thrown at others till only one was left they were the winners .

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Not fair! By the time I went to school they had started putting fire retardant in fertilizer.

You could still get your hands on petrol though couldn't you? Christ we were as stupid as ChrisKH...

I'm pretty sure petrol was the active ingredient used to cut bottles. Water in to the required level, then petrol and then a red hot soldering iron, which had been heated on the New World gas stove. My sister's friend Gary was operative of this so I'm not exactly sure. He also used to wire up capacitors to the 240v mains to make them explode.
And, another pastime - I used to strip old TVs of every component, valves, resistors etc in a vain attempt to build stuff as shown in Practical Wireless. Still got the PWs..here we go again...:whistle:

We've moved from childhood games to childhood crazy and in that vein and thanks to my dad being member of the Sealed Knot at Warwick, I used to get access to the black stuff and would enjoy seeing how high I could launch almost anything. :rolleyes:

Fran143

Über Member
Cowboys and indians was my favourite...used to cycle up the "bing" and chase each other round it then down....probably be politically incorrect to call it that now! Loved BB, conkers and tiddywinks.....always enjoyed kiss chase too.:whistle:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Pick up a fairly fresh but solid dog turd with a stick.

Dump it on someone's front step.

Ignite it with meths.

Knock on their door.

Leg it across the street and hide behind a hedge to watch whoever opened the door stamp the fire out.

ChrisKH

Guru
Pick up a fairly fresh but solid dog turd with a stick.

Dump it on someone's front step.

Ignite it with meths.

Knock on their door.

Leg it across the street and hide behind a hedge to watch whoever opened the door stamp the fire out.

Ahhhhhhhhh. Knock Down Ginger.

Top Bottom