childrens bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Hi All looking at kids bikes my daughter is just over 130cm almost 132ish, I was thinking if it fits of a 24” wheel.

I keep checking for a 2nd hand Frog or Isla bike, they either sell fast or out of budget, I would like to spend £150 but can stretch if I need to or try to convince the wife it’s a worthy value.

I have looked at the Decathlon B-Twin rockhopper with no suspension forks as I don’t want those, too heavy etc.

My other idea was the Carrera Abyss or Carrera Saruna, ok spec and Alum framed so a little lighter.

I know the Carrera is pushing the budget I said but those are in some case a full 4-6kg lighter.

Any thoughts/ideas welcome.

vickster

Legendary Member
Think Ridgeback do decent kids bikes?

the advantage of Isla is they hold their value so you’ll lose less when you come to sell on

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My daughter formerly had the Carrera Saruna 20 (the next size down), I was really impressed with it, even as a bike enthusiast. There's seriously nothing I could fault it on, everything was good quality and finished well and it was good to ride according to her. It was easy to work on when it took the odd knock. As you say, they're lightish too and that helps when you're smaller.
She's on a Trek (24 inch wheel) now but only because the right Trek in the right colour (pink) was available at the right time (and we know how important colour is to young ladies). I think the Saruna 24 was / is only available in an orange / red colour where her previous one was purple. Had that colour (or something else "feminine" - her words not mine) been available in the 24, we would have been happy to buy it. She just didn't like that orangey red.

I think at the price they're a bargain, they're a properly good bike.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
My daughter formerly had the Carrera Saruna 20 (the next size down), I was really impressed with it, even as a bike enthusiast. There's seriously nothing I could fault it on, everything was good quality and finished well and it was good to ride according to her. It was easy to work on when it took the odd knock. As you say, they're lightish too and that helps when you're smaller.
She's on a Trek (24 inch wheel) now but only because the right Trek in the right colour (pink) was available at the right time (and we know how important colour is to young ladies). I think the Saruna 24 was / is only available in an orange / red colour where her previous one was purple. Had that colour (or something else "feminine" - her words not mine) been available in the 24, we would have been happy to buy it. She just didn't like that orangey red.

I think at the price they're a bargain, they're a properly good bike.

The weight is what drew me initially as many other bikes in this range are steel and 14-18kg which meh my Merida is a fraction of that and it's not CF, thanks for the input this really helped.

I was at a car boot sale and spotted a mint condition GT Paloma 24" which I needed as a loaner.
The size advantage of Islabikes and Frog is the proportional crank and bar size. Most of the major brand aluminium frame 24" are similar to GT and are OK

Car boot price was £15.00!!!

Last edited:

stalagmike

Enormous member
Consider Pinnacle also. My youngest is on a Pinnacle Ash which I picked up for £30. Ali frame, tektro brakes, shim tourney gears. The 24 inch one is called Aspen. Come up quite a lot on well known auction sites.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Thanks for the feedback, I looked into all the brands mentioned, I had chased several Isla and Frog bikes on Facebook market and they sold crazy fast.

I went with the Carrera in the end, I know many dislike them but for the money and the spec it seemed nice and my kid loved the colour, I was more concerned on weight, as they all seemed to use the same gears.

We are planning on heading out from my place, to the cuckoo trial once we have picked it up and heading to Pevensey bay.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Carrera is a good choice. I hope you and your child get many happy miles out of it 😊

tom73

Guru
Sound's like you've got the best of both you have something that your happy with.
But best of all she's got a bike she want's to ride and will enjoy win ,win all round.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
She loves it, gears will take a little while to get used to, the front ones I need to see if it’s possible to make it easier to turn as she struggles getting it onto the 2nd gear.

but for the money it’s a nice piece of kit, ofc a 2nd hand Isla or Frog would be awesome but they fly off the auction sites like hot cakes.

and tbh she loves it, and enjoys it so that’s what matters.

glad I went with the 24” wheel as she was very top of the 20” on the chart and was bottom end of the 24” but reach etc isn’t an issue and she has plenty of growing room.

On holiday in Annecy last year a British family allowed her to try a 24” bike and she had no issues then.

So glad I purchased the Thule tow carrier as now having this in the boot isn’t really an option.

Top Bottom