Chiltern Find

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is a 21'' frame.
Somewhere (surely, baring in mind how long these machines were in production) someone must have tabulated the geometry of these frames, but I can't find anything online.
I'd find it interesting to know and see any differences between, say, the 'Chiltern' and 'Superbe' types, for example.
If there are differences, it would appeal to my curiosity to know which type equated to the different models (obviously the 'Chiltern' must have shared its geometry with a range of other named models, the names themselves being only marketing devices).
A pointer would be helpful.

Yep Raleigh bikes have a 'loping' kind of ride that just seems so smooth, kind of bike you can ride all day. Many years ago (when I only had one bike) I went out in the morning to find I had a flattie so nicked my ex's Peugeot to get to work, gawd it was horrible, seemed to jar from one bump to another so really tiring to ride.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

One feature I'd like to address... I find the steering to be noticeably twitchy.
The steering/handlebar stem offset is 30mm.
Would a longer offset calm the steering?
Opinions please.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Different spelling I know but wouldn't it be nice if the bike were associated with George Melly and John Chilton's feetwarmers. They sort of go together.

A-1325497-1231172252.jpg

ren531

Über Member
One feature I'd like to address... I find the steering to be noticeably twitchy.
The steering/handlebar stem offset is 30mm.
Would a longer offset calm the steering?
Opinions please.

It will help putting a longer reach stem on but not sort it out really. I have a few old Raleigh roadsters the pre 1982 ones have a much slacker head angle than later ones , there is a thought that Raleigh could have been using up old 10 speed Racer lugs to save money to build these last of the roadsters and that could be why they have a sharper head angle and twitchier steering .

Hey, Cyclops, what's that you're smokin', man?

Why, do you want some?

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Yes - I use it for daily transport as I don't have a car (it's not worth buying one just for the gym). My back-up bikes are a 1975 Hercules Balmoral and another one that I knocked together using a 1951 Raleigh roadster frame and various bits that I had accumulated over the years.

View attachment 714687
I like the cut of your jib, Chris.
I'm seriously considering ridding myself of my car.
If it wasn't for needing transport for hospital appointments.
I have a bus pass, but that turns into almost a full day and 2 different busses.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I like the cut of your jib, Chris.
I'm seriously considering ridding myself of my car.
If it wasn't for needing transport for hospital appointments.
I have a bus pass, but that turns into almost a full day and 2 different busses.

I recommend going car free.

With the money you save you could easily afford the occasional hire car or taxi and still be much better off.

Just think - no VED, no fuel bills, no insurance bills breakdown, no breakdown insurance, no MOTS, no paying to park.

Top Bottom