Chiltern Find

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KoffMixtures

Picked an almost 'new' Raleigh Chiltern today; never been used, never been spannered and been stood at the back of a garage all its life (Dec 1991) collecting dust.
A short spin around the block confirmed all is well.
I was surprised how quick the steering is, yet a 'hands off' bike.
First impressions:- bowls along without effort, considering its 32.5lb weight, which compares favourably with my 'Twenties'.

s-l1600 9.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You lucky bugger.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Try going up a steep hill in the 48 inch bottom gear. I have to resort to the reserve '24 inch gear' for some of mine.
It's no big deal to change rear sprocket on the SA hub and also lengthen the chain.
5-10 mins work at negligible expense.
Being one of the last of Raleighs trad roadsters that hub is one of the sealed, grease lubed kind, without an oil port...a bit of disappointment there, but at nearly 70 years of age it should see me out comfortably.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Very nice. I do find it very amusing that a bike called the Chiltern wouldn't perform particularly well it that very hilly area.
By today's standards I agree.
However, for most of the 20th century folks seemed to manage well enough.
We've just got spoiled and softer.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Very nice. I do find it very amusing that a bike called the Chiltern wouldn't perform particularly well it that very hilly area.

By today's standards I agree.
However, for most of the 20th century folks seemed to manage well enough.

They just used to get off and push like I do now. I'm not embarrassed about it, cyclo-cross racers do it if it's easier than pedalling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

This is a 21'' frame.
Somewhere (surely, baring in mind how long these machines were in production) someone must have tabulated the geometry of these frames, but I can't find anything online.
I'd find it interesting to know and see any differences between, say, the 'Chiltern' and 'Superbe' types, for example.
If there are differences, it would appeal to my curiosity to know which type equated to the different models (obviously the 'Chiltern' must have shared its geometry with a range of other named models, the names themselves being only marketing devices).
A pointer would be helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom