Chilterns peak time bike ban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
The guard (or is it train manager now ?) on the Kidderminster to Marylebone Chilterns train has just announced that due to over-crowding bikes can no longer be accommodated on peak time trains. Obviously the South-east have had this for years but we've managed for years without a problem. Shame because a lot of people, me included use it for the Stourbridge to Birmingham bit and it's never that busy. I think they might be acting in anticipation of the summer increase in cyclists.
Ah well back to London Midland misery.

Folding bikes will still be allowed though so do what those of us in the SE do and get a Brommie. You know you want to ;)

Jezston

Über Member
Has it really been a problem taking bikes on those trains? If not, get a petition together with the other cyclists you see on your commute.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Has it really been a problem taking bikes on those trains? If not, get a petition together with the other cyclists you see on your commute.

It's never been a problem. All stops from Kidderminster to Birmingham are on the left side, so bikes are never in the way. There's never more than one bike per doorway. I can understand why you wouldn't want them on after Warwick or Banbury and into Marylebone but this seems a bit harsh. There are only two regular cyclists who use it from Stourbridge including me, it's risen to about five or six since the nice weather, so there's not really many of us to petition.
It's a 4 carriage train so that's 8 doorways plus the actual cycle space, so in theory it could take 12 bikes comfortably.
I'd consider a Brommie but i have 11 miles to do when i get off the train and i'm not the world's smallest bloke so it doesn't really appeal.

The next train is a hideously crowded London Midland job so looks like cranking the alarm clock backwards another half hour. :sad:

I'd consider a Brommie but i have 11 miles to do when i get off the train and i'm not the world's smallest bloke so it doesn't really appeal.

Smallest height or weight wise?
If it's height, there are taller seatposts you can get which would help. If it's weight, there are heavy Brompton riders out there. Don't dismiss out of hand :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Folding bikes will still be allowed though so do what those of us in the SE do and get a Brommie. You know you want to ;)
If i had to go folder i would be tempted by something like ...

http://www.fudgescyc...dex.php?p=96232

or even better but expensive ...

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=125840

125840_1.jpg

Jezston

Über Member
It's never been a problem. All stops from Kidderminster to Birmingham are on the left side, so bikes are never in the way. There's never more than one bike per doorway. I can understand why you wouldn't want them on after Warwick or Banbury and into Marylebone but this seems a bit harsh. There are only two regular cyclists who use it from Stourbridge including me, it's risen to about five or six since the nice weather, so there's not really many of us to petition.
It's a 4 carriage train so that's 8 doorways plus the actual cycle space, so in theory it could take 12 bikes comfortably.

The next train is a hideously crowded London Midland job so looks like cranking the alarm clock backwards another half hour. :sad:

Talk to the train company. They might be able to make a concession. In fact, if the staff are alright and are familiar with the guys who currently ride, they may be fine as long as, like you say, you are only on the train during the quiet stretch.

I take a train that goes from somewhere out east to Birmingham or to Cardiff. Technically the train is supposed to only take 2 bikes and they must be booked in advance. There are a ton of people who take bikes on these trains between Nottingham and Derby, I think there were at least six today, none of them booked, and the train staff have no problem with this.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Talk to the train company. They might be able to make a concession. In fact, if the staff are alright and are familiar with the guys who currently ride, they may be fine as long as, like you say, you are only on the train during the quiet stretch.

I take a train that goes from somewhere out east to Birmingham or to Cardiff. Technically the train is supposed to only take 2 bikes and they must be booked in advance. There are a ton of people who take bikes on these trains between Nottingham and Derby, I think there were at least six today, none of them booked, and the train staff have no problem with this.

I'd like to think that it would happen like that, the staff are all pretty relaxed, the problem is the other passengers. I was on there the other day and a stroppy passenger came marching up to the guard demanding he have a word with somebody for talking in the quiet zone carriage, it's that sort of atmosphere.

I'm kind of resigned to it, it's just a bit disappointing and a backward step for any hope of integrated transport.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I hate to break it to you, but this isn't new. There's been a Chiltern peak time ban on bikes into London since at least 1996 (when I started commuting), and it was extended to trains into Birmingham a few years later. It sounds as if you've got away with lax policing for quite a long time.

I'm not a fan of "big" bikes on trains at rush hour - and that's not only because I've got a Brompton for exactly that reason. Bromptons are much better than people who haven't tried them think they are. I'd be very happy to do a 10-miles commute on mine. I'm not exactly small or light-weight either - I used mine when I was up over 20 stone and it didn't complain too much.

henshaw11

Not only do we have the same thing in the SE, but in the last few years they've got more draconain and extended the hours/region further. In theory if I was mtbing nr Bracknell, leaving work at Staines (not that many stops between the two but quite a bit further than you'd want to cycle before an evening ride), bikes aren't allowed. But the nonsense is probably half the train or more gets off by Staines/Egham. I *have* put the bike on in the past, but all it needs is one whinger or jobsworth to mess up yer evening...

I could be wrong - I've never commuted into London at peak times - but I think it started going pear-shaped when they got rid of the slam-door/post+luggage van rolling stock..

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

That's interesting. The train i catch gets into Snow Hill at 07:04 so outside of their stated restriction. This was a "special announcement for passengers with bikes" this morning though, so probably not made it to their website yet.
I have to use LM at night as the Chilterns don't go past Snow Hill, last night there were 2 carriages instead of 4 on the Snow Hill to Kidderminster train with predictably grim consequences. The guards on that line have started to turn bikes away when it's busy so i think it's only a matter of time until they formalise it.

suecsi

Not only do we have the same thing in the SE, but in the last few years they've got more draconain and extended the hours/region further. In theory if I was mtbing nr Bracknell, leaving work at Staines (not that many stops between the two but quite a bit further than you'd want to cycle before an evening ride), bikes aren't allowed. But the nonsense is probably half the train or more gets off by Staines/Egham. I *have* put the bike on in the past, but all it needs is one whinger or jobsworth to mess up yer evening...

I could be wrong - I've never commuted into London at peak times - but I think it started going pear-shaped when they got rid of the slam-door/post+luggage van rolling stock..

Wow - I hadn't realised they had extended the regions out so far, until I looked on South West trains website - it used to be more restricted to the London zones (I get on at Feltham). I don't usually get lucky enough to get the Reading train (the connection at Twickenham is dire) but lots of people get off it at Feltham, as they do most of the trains. I also see full size bikes on the inbound train from Windsor, which isn't supposed to happen, but he gets off at Whitton. He'd get some serious evil looks if he was still on at Twickenham, at which stage it becomes standing room only (and barely that). He must get on at a largely unmanned station like Datchet.

I do see people with full bikes get on the Windsor train at night though, when I get off at Feltham - the train is half empty at this stage, and the platform staff seem pretty relaxed. The ban is supposed to extend to the Hounslow loop train as well, but quite a few bikes get on that at Twickenham in the evening rush - it is always half empty too.

Norm

This may be fairly self-evident but it seems strange to suggest getting together a petition of fellow commuting-cyclists when the point is that there are not many bikes.

Sorry, a tad off topic but Moultons do not fold.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That's interesting. The train i catch gets into Snow Hill at 07:04 so outside of their stated restriction.

It's a train to London, presumably arriving about 09:00, so it is inside the restriction.

On Mondays to Fridays you can also use most of our trains. The only exceptions are our busiest peak hour services, where bikes are not allowed at any point during the journey on any train:

- Arriving London Marylebone or Birmingham Snow Hill from 0745 to 1000.

Chiltern aren't very good at running full-formation trains consistently - it's their one failing as a service provider. You don't want to be on a four-coach clubman out of Aylesbury when it's usually a five-coach class 165. Especially with a Brommie.

Goto10

c
Bromptons are much better than people who haven't tried them think they are. I'd be very happy to do a 10-miles commute on mine. I'm not exactly small or light-weight either - I used mine when I was up over 20 stone and it didn't complain too much.

*Nods*
Granted, they look ridiculous but I love my Brommie. I've done my 6 mile commute (6 mile each way) on a Brompton for about a year now and I'm no light weight @ 245lbs (17.5 stone)
I used to take a hybrid on the train but the Brompton is so much more convenient.

Top Bottom