Chipped paint work

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Rustybucket, 3 Mar 2018.

1. Rustybucket

Rustybucket Über Member

0DBEA386-D881-4BAB-BD54-786DB14E88E2.jpeg could someone please reassure me that this is only chipped paint and not damage to the carbon frame? Dropped my lock against it! So annoyed!

Thanks

2. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Bit difficult to tell from the low res pic but should be just cosmetic. Question is how do you repair it so it won't be too obvious?

Rustybucket likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Rustybucket

Rustybucket Über Member

CC9D78DB-7427-4CE9-BB41-C32D124FB7E2.jpeg
    Started to touch it up, not fussed it doesn’t look great, just to protect it! Needs a few layers!

Really hope it’s just cosmetic

4. Drago

Drago Guru

Use a cocktail stick to precision apply the paint into the chip.

bpsmith, screenman and Rustybucket like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Rustybucket

Rustybucket Über Member

Good tip, wish I knew that before I started

Drago likes this.
  6. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Drago beat me too it, failing that a Qtip cut to a sharp point which is what I prefer as you can carry a tad more paint.

Rustybucket likes this.
  7. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 62 & 20% through Decade 7. Yikes! Moderator

You'll build it up a lot faster with some high-build primer before the top coat.

A small twist of kitchen towel works the same as a cocktail stick too - tip from a local car bodyshop.

Rustybucket and Drago like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Rustybucket

Rustybucket Über Member

I’m still so annoyed! It had to happen to my best bike! :cursing::cursing::cursing:

9. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

I think if you fill the indentation it will make it less noticeable. Go to a model shop and buy some ‘micro balloons’, it’s a powder you mix with two part epoxy to proved a filling compound. Carefully fill the dent until level and then if necessary use a very fine grade wet and dry to smooth the surface.
    Match the paint and try and find someone with an airbrush to paint it or if you can’t buy a cheap one yourself. You can get some cheap Chinese ones on eBay for about twenty quid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice