Choice bearing type wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
I just replaced my rear wheel with the wheel with the new bearings.
Because the cog of the latter is my most worn one, and because I want to test the new bearings immediately, with their purchase date as reference usable.
Now I noticed something I never did before, yet the other wheel is just like that so I must have missed it.
When I inserted the wheel between the dropouts, it had 5 mm free space. I then tightened the nondrive side bolt, then the driveside bolt and while tensioning the latter, I noticed the dropouts (thus of the frame) coming together that distance. It's like the frame was made for a wider rear wheel.
I

davidphilips

Veteran
Do your own research,from my experience ceramic bearings on a push bike are a waste of money and really only of any benefit in high speed use, Stainless bearings are not as good as high carbon bearings, Cycle wheel bearings are usually very easy to replace never came across any that where difficult to replace (famous last words, (might be sorry for saying that) .
Lots of help on Utube/internet showing how to replace wheel bearings on wheels etc.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I just replaced my rear wheel with the wheel with the new bearings.
Because the cog of the latter is my most worn one, and because I want to test the new bearings immediately, with their purchase date as reference usable.
Now I noticed something I never did before, yet the other wheel is just like that so I must have missed it.
When I inserted the wheel between the dropouts, it had 5 mm free space. I then tightened the nondrive side bolt, then the driveside bolt and while tensioning the latter, I noticed the dropouts (thus of the frame) coming together that distance. It's like the frame was made for a wider rear wheel.
I

With the dropouts, there must be a degree of slack, otherwise you would have to spread the stays everytime you wanted to remove/replace the wheel
2.5ml either side is not excessive as long as when the QR is closed the wheel is centred.
What is the measurement between the dropouts, and what is the OLN measurement of the hub?

Top Bottom